Sign in to follow this  
jeajack21

Debt Validation Statements Received

Hello.  I have been reviewing my credit reports and noticed some items that are past the statute of limitations but are still being reported on my reports.  I have disputed them with the bureaus directly and they have come back verified.  I have also requested debt validation requests from the collectors.  I have received just a printed statement with the original creditor's details on it.  It seems there is nothing else further that I can do, as they can not sue me for it as it is past the statute of limitations and even the letter from the collector states this.  I am just trying to get it off my reports.  Any suggestions?  

3 hours ago, jeajack21 said:

Any suggestions?

There are TWO statute of limitations.  One for suing you and the other is for reporting the debt.  While the SOL for suing in HI is 6 years the reporting SOL for debts is 7 years 6 months from the date of first default.  The SOL for suit expiring means they cannot use the courts to collect without violating the FDCPA.  It does not mean they have to stop reporting because they cannot sue.

• Like 1

We are in California, use to live in Hawaii, but originally from Oregon.  I am aware of them being able to still report.  I am just asking if there is a way to get them to stop reporting?  It seems there really is no proper way to have debt validation and statements, which can just be printed, are sufficient.

15 minutes ago, jeajack21 said:

We are in California, use to live in Hawaii, but originally from Oregon.  I am aware of them being able to still report.  I am just asking if there is a way to get them to stop reporting?  It seems there really is no proper way to have debt validation and statements, which can just be printed, are sufficient.

They were not required to provide validation in response to your request.   It's not a requirement for credit reporting.

Unless you can show that they are reporting inaccurate information, right now there's not much you can do.    

How old are the debts?

6 hours ago, jeajack21 said:

I am just asking if there is a way to get them to stop reporting?

There is no magic method to remove valid accurate trade lines.

6 hours ago, jeajack21 said:

It seems there really is no proper way to have debt validation and statements, which can just be printed, are sufficient.

The threshold for validation is so low you can trip over it.  They are not even required to provide an actual statement.  They are only required to provide the name/address of the original creditor and the amount they claim is owed.  That is it.  Add to that they are only required to respond to a DV sent within 30 days of the original dunning notice (except in a few states like Texas that require it if the state law is invoked in the DV letter) sent to you.

If you sent one of those really bad letters found on the internet (and this site) asking for license numbers, proof of the debt, proof of right to collect, and a plethora of other garbage they were free to ignore that list.  The law does not require that they provide any of that in any state or federal law.   ALL that letter does for consumers who use it is prove they can cut and paste a very inaccurate letter from the internet and do not know their rights.

• Like 1

Yes this is true.  So what you'll need to do is find out what your state law has to say about validation.  In Texas the law is more concise.  There is clear narrative on what is acceptable as validation.