Sign in to follow this  
REVL

verbal offer no written

Spoke to a rep at Carson Smithfield and was offered a settlement for 25% of money owed to Merrick Bank. Called back a couple of days later to set up arrangement and they weren't going to honor the offer. After a bunch of back and forth they said as long as payment is made by the end of the month (7 days away). 

I want to accept the offer but they say they can not send me the offer in writing.  What?!

He said that their offer letters are auto generated by the computer and the language in those auto generated offers gives 35 days to make payment but this is a special deal that he wont extend for 35 days.

I recorded the call with him , with his permission, where he lays out the deal but don't see how I can send money without a written agreement or letter. 

Any suggestions?

They said they will send a letter after they receive the payment, stating that debt is "settled in full". But all I have is the word of the rep and the recorded phone call that verifies that.

DO NOT SEND THE MONEY. It does not matter if you have a verbal recording. The JDB will simply say that the collector had no authority to make the deal and that they were a rouge collector who was fired (since most collectors last only 90 days at their job, odds of this person being there when the issue comes to head is 0). A debt collector is lying if their lips are moving and they are forming words in a known language. The legal adage "If it is not in writing, it did not happen." is in play here. They will take your money and then they will go back on the deal.

What you do is you call them back and tell them that if they want the money, they will send you written confirmation of the deal. No deal in writing, no money. You are in the drivers seat here. If they threaten lawsuit, tell them that is fine and that you will then be speaking to a lawyer who will give you the deal in writing. If you keep bugging them, they will either give you the deal in writing, sell the debt and you then might get a collector who has 2 functioning interconnected brain cells and realize how to get paid, or sue you and then you get a lawyer that understands the concept. You have the money that they want, you are in the drivers seat.

• Like 2