louieN

Received a call from collections stating i owe $300

Hello,

This is the first time i am posting here as this is also the first time i have had anything in collections.  I received a phone call from a said collections agency stating that i owe money to them regarding damage done to a Hertz rental vehicle in November of 2016. I asked him for more details on the matter and after putting me on a 3 minute hold he said he would have to gather paperwork and could have it emailed to me.  I still have not yet received the email so i have no idea what this is referring to.  I have never rented a car before as i am 23 years old so i know it has nothing to do with me.  From the sounds of things they could have the wrong person.  I asked if there were any police reports or anything and he couldn't answer the question.  What should i do? I just looked and the collections agency appeared on my credit report.  I want to get this disputed because I'm in the process of buying a house and this cannot be on there!  Thank you.

On your credit report is the name and address of the collection agency. Send them a certified letter letting them know you dispute the debt they are trying to collect from you. Watch the USPS website and when you see that the letter has been delivered to the CA, send dispute letters to the credit reporting agencies where the collection is listed. If it's not your account it should disappear within 30-45 days. If it stays and you know for sure it's not your debt,  go talk to a consumer rights lawyer.

Ok so i was wrong, it is not even on my credit report i was looking at a credit card.  There is nothing under collections on my credit report for equifax or transUnion so i have no one to mail a letter due to not having any information.

When they call again, request that the collector give you the name and company they are working for (or you can call back and request that). They must give that information to you when requested under the FDCPA. I would ask them what address they have for you and if the address is correct, I would demand that they send you the 5 day letter (required to  be sent within 5 days after first contact). Using that name and address, you can then send a letter disputing the debt within 30 days and requesting validation. They have to stop collecting until they send validation (and there is no limit for the amount of time it takes them to send validation).

Ok so i called him back and he said that he couldn't get any more information or documentation for the claim until tomorrow due to Hertz' corporate office being closed for the evening.  I will call back to get the collector's company name and address so i can send a letter.  The address they had on file was a old address from mine which i haven't lived at for a year and isn't located on any of my legal documents (ie: Driver's license, passport, etc.) and never has been.