Goodwill Letter to Credit Union

Newleaf

I was hoping someone might be able to read my goodwill letter and let me know what they think.  I have been working on reparing my credit score, and one of my bad marks is 1 missed payment, from October 2016.  I have had the account since Aug 2010 and have not had any payments 30+ days past due except this one.  I welcome anyone to read my letter and give me feedback.  Also, is there someone specific I should be addressing it to?  I got the template from the CIC website, but have changed a few things on it...

Thanks!

Dear Madam/Sir,

I am writing to you today regarding my account #XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX. The purpose of my correspondence is to see if you would be willing to make a "goodwill" adjustment on the reporting of this account to the three credit agencies.

During the time that I have had this account I have been very happy with the service.  I obtained this loan from your company in August of 2010.  This loan from you was the first loan I was able to qualify for on my own!  I bought a car that I had researched thoroughly and I still to this day love.  I was so proud of myself in obtaining this all on my own I definitely didn’t want to screw it up.  This loan has seen me through a layoff in a job that I absolutely loved, a huge pay cut at another job, and now 3 promotions in my new career.  I did my best through it all to make sure first and foremost I didn’t let your Credit Union down for trusting me with a car loan.  I was however was not the ideal customer and made mistake in October of 2016 with my handling of my payment for the account.  I was married in July of 2016 and my husband and I were in the process of merging our accounts.  Because I live in Northern Kentucky, worked night shift 6 PM to 6 AM Monday through Friday and the most accessible location to drop of payment is at least a 25-minute car ride one way, I had been paying my account electronically.  When we merged our bank accounts to one, this payment was missed and over 30 days past due.  I didn’t realize it until we went to pay the following month and paid both payments at that time.  I should have kept better records regarding the account and I take full responsibility.

I know that an on-time payment was my responsibility and I am not attempting to justify this breach of my user agreement. I was however hoping you might review the circumstances under which this non-payment occurred and consider removing the negative trade line associated with this account from my three credit reports.

I have had the loan from your Credit Union beginning in August of 2010 and this is the only instance of a 30+ day past due payment.  As soon as I became aware of the balance owed, I paid the missed payment.  I provide this not to justify why the account was unpaid, but rather to show that the missed payment is not a good indicator of my actual credit worthiness. I hope that XXXXXXX is willing to work with me on erasing this mark from my credit reports.

I would like to stress the fact the information currently being reported is accurate. I am simply asking XXXXXX for a courtesy gesture of goodwill in having the credit bureaus remove this negative mark on this account from my report. I do recognize that this request is unique and that it may not be your normal policy. However, I appreciate any consideration you have in this matter.