"Negative" reported for payment month of bankruptcy

I filed bankruiptcy on June 27 2015.  My payment history for most bankrupted accounts shows "Negative" for that month.  Can they do thatr?  While they do not actually say "late, these "negative"s are being scored as late payments.  While I did not make payments in 6/15, no 6/15 payment could have been 30 days late until after I filed, so theyt must have done it post-filing.

On 6/5/2017 at 3:35 PM, Harry Seaward said:

Where did you get the report that you see the word "negative"? Where in the report do you see the word "negative"? How do you know "negative" is being scored as a "late" payment? 

On both Experian Credit Tracker and Experian Credit works and also on the phone with Experian Credit Tracker customer service, the Payment History box for June 2015 shows "negative" for the 14 accounts that I filed bankruptcy on in June 2015.  On the phone, I found out that that month's payment history box actually says "negative CO", which they tell me means charged off.  On the Experian reports, payment history entries are green if OK, red if bad such as 30 days late, 60 days late, etc.   These negative entries for Jun '15 are all red, so they're classified as a "bad" payment.   Also, what they show me online does not even show the "CO" at the end of the entries.

At the beginning of Credit Tracker, before going to the actual complete report, they have "what is helping your score" and "what is hurting your score" summaries.  The  "hurting the score" shows 14 late payments; the only not OK entries on any payment history entries for any account in my whole report  are the red negative entries on these 14 accounts.

Each account concerned shows a bankruptcy date of Jun 2015.  Therefore, since NO Jun 2015 payment could have possibly been 30 days late, and thus reportable, until July 2015, it appears these payment history "negative" entries had to have been reported in July, and once a bankruptcy has been filed I believe a creditor is forbidden from reporting anything on an account.

Perhaps Experian itself is adding a "negative CO" on all accounts for payment history for the month of a bankruptcy; it's hard to believe that 14 different creditors all violated the law in the same way.  Even stranger, one creditor's account shows status discharged in bankruptcy in Jun '15, then the "negative" for payment history for that month, then a second account for that same creditor.  In and of itself, the 2nd account is fine, except it was a reaffirmation account, opened in Nov 2015, to let me pay them off.  But IT ALSO shows "negative" in payment history for Jun '15, 5 months before that account even existed!!!!  This is what leafds me to think Experian, not the creditors, has done this.  As far as I know, all the bankrupted accounts should have payment histories that end in May 2015 and there should be no payment histories for Jun '15 at all. As it is, my score is getting hit twice, once for bankruptcy for each account, and then agsain for a late payment for each of them in Jun '15.  Plus a late payment in Jun '15 for one account which did not even exist yet at that time.  I'd love to include a sacreenshot, but my screenshot app isn't working correctly. 

Perhaps when I get my other computer back from the shop I'll be able to add a screenshot to this conversation.

I wouldn't put much weight in what Experian claims is hurting your score. The only way to know is to ask FICO.

But you're right that 14 creditors wouldn't be violating in the same way and Experian is where the problem lies.

Are all of the accounts flagged as 'included in bankruptcy'? I would start with disputes with Experian and any other CRA that has the reporting like you describe. They certainly cannot report account info for any time before the account came into existence.  If they come back verified I'd go see a 3 or 4 consumer rights attorneys to see what they have to say.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Harry Seaward said:

I wouldn't put much weight in what Experian claims is hurting your score. The only way to know is to ask FICO.

But you're right that 14 creditors wouldn't be violating in the same way and Experian is where the problem lies.

Are all of the accounts flagged as 'included in bankruptcy'? I would start with disputes with Experian and any other CRA that has the reporting like you describe. They certainly cannot report account info for any time before the account came into existence.  If they come back verified I'd go see a 3 or 4 consumer rights attorneys to see what they have to say.

The really weird thing is that  Exprian's disputes dept says I can't dispute them, that their data shows all the accounts with payment history ending in May '15.  And if what Experian shows me isn't what the FICO algorythim is using to compute a score, I'm paying Experian over $20 a month to show me exactly what they run through FICO and what they report to creditors.  Either way, they're screwing me.  Also, the disputes dept doesn't even have the two accounts for the one creditor, the one that was discharged in the June bankruptcy or the one (the reaffirmation asccount) that was opened in November but shows a "nagative - CO " in red for May, 6 months before it even existed.  How can 2 different departments in the same CRA have different data?

In a case like this I would buy your FICO scores directly from myfico.com.  It's only $30/mo, which is only $10 more than you're paying now, and IMO, is a better value because it's reporting your actual score and will show your report as your creditors would see them.  I would also apply for some kind of credit where the creditor would be willing to show you the copy of the report they get from the CRAs.  If you're chummy with a mortgage broker, they'll let you see it and may even give you a copy.  If you ask, they might also pull it as a 'promotional' inquiry so it doesn't ding your score as a hard pull.  But the objective here is to determine what exactly EX is reporting to potential creditors.  If the wackyness only shows on the reports they provide to you, it's a non-issue as long as none of that stuff slips through to outside parties.  On the other hand, if they are telling you that you can't dispute specific info because it doesn't exist but that info is making its way into potential creditors' hands, EX is in deep do-do.

• 11 months later...