guitarpicker

Help! I need advice! Notice of Intention to sue from Mandarich LLP in California

Hi everyone;

I'm a newbie here and feeling way in over my head, needing some advice and wisdom from all your experience.

I reside in California.

I got a notice of intention dated 7/18/2017 to sue (and incur court costs) from Mandarich Law Group on behalf of Cavalry SPV for a $8900 Citibank CC balance. Last payment made 12/2013 (4 yr Cali statute of limitations not up yet).  I have not yet been served any court papers. Like most people who find themselves in this predicament, I'm going thru a tough time financially and cannot pay this loan off, so it went delinquent. Now I'm in a state of near panic wondering the best strategy is short of declaring bankruptcy. I have NOT contacted Mandarich to negotiate a settlement.

I'm not well versed in the arts of negotiations, and even less in the law, So, I have been speaking to a few law firms to get some options offered to me, none of which feel all kosher! Without naming names;

One suggests telling Mandarich the intention to file bankrupcy, but keep putting it off until the SOL clock runs out. (for a fee of $500)

One will charge $595 to negotiate a debt settlement and also get a 5% bonus for moneys saved in the process.

and so on...

questions:

can I use the remaining 5 months left on the statute of limitations to my advantage (running out the shot clock, as it were)?

Should I refrain from calling Mandarich directly and offer say 10% ( i know that is unlikely)? what are the risks of dealing with these sharks?

Is it a good idea to retain legal council,  and more importantly ; how do i find an honest one??

I'm trying to get this dark cloud from over my head and get this off my back. ANY advice would be appreciated!!

Thanks.

@guitarpicker

It might help if you edit the title of your thread to include "California" so that our CA members will notice your thread.