sng4jy

Any experience with the Fullman Firm in CA?

A few months ago, I was contacted by Quall Cordot and Assoc. (Fresno, CA) on behalf of Cavalry for a debt from Citibank of about $7900. I requested and received debt validation documents which I am not sure are valid but they did send a packet of statements and final debt statement, etc. I sent them a settlement offer of $2000 which they responded to by asking for $4300. I am not able to raise that amount of money. So, now they have sent a letter of "intent to sue", I have not received an actual lawsuit yet but assume they will file soon since the SOL on this debt ends this October.

I have also been contacted previously by two other debt collection companies regarding this debt so I think it has been bought and sold a few times.

I am a bit overwhelmed and quite frankly, intimidated by my lack of legal knowledge on how to proceed.  I found the Fullman firm online and am wondering whether you think now is the time to hire a law firm and if anyone here has had any experience with this firm. 

Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

Try to find the Citibank card agreement that was in force when you defaulted. If there is an arb clause, I would send the attorney a letter saying that you would like to invoke that clause through JAMS and be willing to get  that started ($250). They might back off or take a decent settlement offer to avoid arb because of the expense and most agreements say they will pay for fees beyond the initial filing fee regardless of who wins.

19 minutes ago, WhoCares1000 said:

They might back off or take a decent settlement offer to avoid arb because of the expense and most agreements say they will pay for fees beyond the initial filing fee regardless of who wins.

Except Citibank agreements have an arb exclusion for cases in small claims.  JDBs have been known to sue for less to keep the claim in small claims to avoid arbitration defenses.

4 hours ago, Clydesmom said:

Except Citibank agreements have an arb exclusion for cases in small claims.  JDBs have been known to sue for less to keep the claim in small claims to avoid arbitration defenses.

That is fine, the OP offered less in an original settlement than the JDB was willing to take. If the JDB were to take the case to court for less, then the settlement would be for less too.

On 8/11/2017 at 10:18 AM, Clydesmom said:

Are debt buyers known to file in small claims court in California?

"Since small claims court is reserved for non-attorney cases, these corporate cases go directly to civil court."

Source:  Debt buyers sue thousands of Monterey County residents over credit-card debt

"Lawyers are not allowed to represent the parties in small claims court, unlike regular civil court."

Source:  Chapter 1 - Introduction to Small Claims - California Courts Self Help

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xerxes said:

Are debt buyers known to file in small claims court in California?

Actually no, they can't. Since they are not the original party, they are not allowed to sue in small claims and must file in civil court. (along with what you mentioned)

• Like 2