LaneBlane

Need to File Motion to Compel Arbitration in Civl Court

A Civil Complaint was filed against me by an attorney representing a JDB.   They amount the claim I owe is between $6,000-7,000.

Because I was up against a deadline, and didn't want to risk a default judgment, I had an attorney prepare an answer for me.  It's someone I know, so I felt comfortable going to him.  BIG MISTAKE!  He talked me out of including the contract's arbitration clause as an affirmative defense because he said I could be held responsible for paying the plaintiff's attorney's fees and arbitration costs if I lose.   From what I understand,  a consumer is only responsible for paying a $250 fee.

The Plaintiff sent over the first set of interrogatories, request for production of documents, and admissions.  This is when I told myself I have to take advantage of that arbitration clause.  My attorney has since withdrawn himself from the case.

I was advised in another forum on this site that I need to file a Motion to Compel Arbitration.  I'll post the document I've prepared so far in a separate post.

My contract reads, " Any dispute, which cannot be adjudicated within the jurisdiction of a small claims tribunal (including claims transferred by the small claims tribunal to another court) shall be resolved by binding arbitration. "

Here's the complete arbitration section:

Except as otherwise stated below, any Claim (as defined below) will be resolved by binding arbitration pursuant to (a) this Arbitration Provision and (b) the code of procedure of the national arbitration organization to which the Claim is referred (as in effect when the Claim is filed). Claims will be referred to either Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services (“JAMS”) or the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”), as selected by the party electing to use arbitration. Streamlined arbitration procedures will be used if available. If a selection by us of one of these organizations is unacceptable to you, you have the right, within 30 days after you receive notice of our election, to select the other organization listed to serve as arbitration administrator. For purposes of this Arbitration Provision, “Claim” means any claim, dispute or controversy (whether in contract, tort, or otherwise) past, present or future, (collectively, "Claims") as further described below. (If for any reason a selected organization cannot, will not or ceases to serve as an arbitration administrator, you or we may substitute another arbitrator or arbitration organization that uses a similar code of procedure and is mutually acceptable to both parties, in accordance with Section 5 of the Federal Arbitration Act. If both parties cannot agree on an arbitration organization, then either party may ask a court of competent jurisdiction to appoint a qualified arbitration organization.) An arbitration proceeding can decide only your or our Claims. You cannot join other parties (or consolidate Claims). Neither you nor we will be permitted to arbitrate claims on a class-wide (that is, on other than an individual) basis.

Small Claims Court Option. All parties, including related third parties, shall retain the right to seek adjudication of an individual (and not class or representative) Claim in a small claims tribunal in the county of your residence for disputes within the scope of such tribunal’s jurisdiction. Any dispute, which cannot be adjudicated within the jurisdiction of a small claims tribunal (including claims transferred by the small claims tribunal to another court) shall be resolved by binding arbitration. Any appeal of a judgment from a small claims tribunal shall be resolved by binding arbitration.

SIGNIFICANCE OF ARBITRATION; LIMITATIONS AND RESTRICTIONS. IN ARBITRATION, NEITHER YOU NOR WE WILL HAVE THE RIGHT TO (i) HAVE A COURT OR JURY DECIDE THE CLAIM BEING ARBITRATED, (ii) ENGAGE IN PRE-ARBITRATION DISCOVERY (THAT IS, THE RIGHT TO OBTAIN INFORMATION FROM THE OTHER PARTY) TO THE SAME EXTENT THAT YOU OR WE COULD IN COURT, (iii) PARTICIPATE AS A REPRESENTATIVE OR MEMBER OF ANY CLASS OF CLAIMANTS IN A CLASS ACTION, IN COURT OR IN ARBITRATION, RELATING TO ANY CLAIM SUBJECT TO ARBITRATION OR (iv) JOIN OR CONSOLIDATE CLAIMS OTHER THAN YOUR OWN OR OUR OWN. OTHER RIGHTS AVAILABLE IN COURT MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE IN ARBITRATION. Except as set forth below, the arbitrator’s decision will be final and binding. Only a court may decide the validity of items (iii) and (iv) above. If a court holds that items (iii) or (iv) are limited, invalid or unenforceable, then this entire Arbitration Provision will be null and void. You or we can appeal any such holding. If a court holds that any other part(s) of this Arbitration Provision (other than items (iii) and (iv)) are invalid, then the remaining parts of this Arbitration Provision will remain in force. An arbitrator will decide all other issues pertaining to arbitrability, validity, interpretation and enforceability of this Arbitration Provision. The decision of an arbitrator is as enforceable as any court order and may be subject to very limited review by a court. An arbitrator may decide any Claim upon the submission of documents alone. A party may request a telephonic hearing if permitted by applicable rules. The exchange of non-privileged information relevant to any Claim, between the parties, is permitted and encouraged. Either party may submit relevant information, documents or exhibits to the arbitrator for consideration in deciding any Claim.

Right to Opt-Out of Arbitration. You may opt-out of this Arbitration Provision. If you do so, neither you nor we will have the right to engage in arbitration. Opting out of this Arbitration Provision will have no effect on any of the other provisions in this Agreement. To opt out of this Arbitration Provision, we must receive your written notice of opt-out, within 60 calendar days after we approve your Loan, at Account Services Dispute Resolution, P.O. Box 77081, Atlanta, GA 30357; ATTN: Arbitration. In your letter, you must give us the following information: Name, Address and Loan number. The right to opt-out granted here applies solely to this Arbitration Provision and this Agreement, and not to any other provision of this Agreement or to any other Loan or other agreement with us. In the event of a dispute over whether you have provided a timely opt-out notice, you must provide proof of delivery.

Broad Meaning of "Claims." The term "Claims" in this Arbitration Provision is to be given the broadest possible meaning and includes (by way of example and without limitation) Claims arising from or relating to (i) this Agreement, (ii) any transactions effected pursuant to this Agreement, (iii) terms of or change or addition of terms to this Agreement, (iv) collection of your obligations arising from this Agreement, (v) advertisements, promotions or oral or written statements relating to this Agreement or any transactions between us pursuant to this Agreement, including any Claims regarding information obtained by us from, or reported by us to, credit reporting agencies or others, (vi) Claims between you and us or our parent corporations, wholly or majority owned subsidiaries, affiliates, predecessors, successors, assigns, agents, independent contractors, employees, officers, directors or representatives arising from any transaction between us pursuant to this Agreement and (vii) Claims regarding the validity, enforceability or scope of this Arbitration Provision or this Agreement including but not limited to whether a given claim or dispute is subject to arbitration.

Arbitration Procedure and Costs. For a copy of relevant codes of procedure, to file a Claim or for other information about JAMS and AAA, write them, visit their web site or call them at: (i) for JAMS, 1920 Main Street, Suite 300, Irvine, CA 92614, info@jamsadr.com, http://www.jamsadr.com, or 1-800-352-5267; or (ii) for AAA, 1633 Broadway, 10th Floor, New York, NY 10019, websitemail@adr.org, http://www.adr.org, or 1-800-778-7879. If either party fails to submit to arbitration following a proper demand to do so, that party will bear the costs and expenses, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, incurred by the party compelling arbitration. Any physical arbitration hearing will be held in the federal judicial district selected by Merchant. No matter which party initiates the arbitration, we will advance or reimburse filing fees and other costs or fees of arbitration. Each party will initially be responsible for its own attorneys’, experts’ and witness fees and related costs and expenses. Unless prohibited by law, the arbitrator may, applying applicable law, award fees, costs and reasonable attorneys’ fees and expenses to the party who substantially prevails in the arbitration. The allocation of fees and costs relating to an appeal in arbitration will be handled in the same manner. For an explanation and schedule of the fees that may apply to an arbitration proceeding, please contact the organizations at the addresses above. The appropriate fee schedule in effect from time to time is hereby incorporated by reference into this Arbitration Provision. The cost of arbitration may be higher or lower than the cost of bringing a Claim in court, depending upon the nature of the Claim and how the arbitration proceeds. Having more than one Claim and holding a physical arbitration hearing can increase the cost of arbitration.

Governing Law for Arbitration. This Arbitration Provision is made pursuant to a transaction involving interstate commerce, and will be governed by the Federal Arbitration Act ("FAA"), 9 U.S.C. §§ 1 et seq., as amended, notwithstanding any other governing law provision in this Agreement. The arbitrator will apply applicable substantive law consistent with the FAA and applicable statutes of limitations and will honor claims of privilege recognized at law. Judgment upon any arbitration award may be entered and enforced in any court having jurisdiction. The arbitrator’s decision will be final and binding, except for any right of appeal provided by the FAA, in which case any party can appeal the award to a three-arbitrator panel administered by the selected arbitration administrator. The panel will reconsider de novo (that is, without deference to the ruling of the original arbitration) any aspect of the initial award requested by the appealing party.

Continued Effect of Arbitration Provision. This Arbitration Provision will continue to govern any Claims that may arise without regard to any termination or cancellation of this Agreement. If any portion of this Arbitration Provision (other than the provisions prohibiting class-wide arbitration, joinder or consolidation) is deemed invalid or unenforceable under the FAA, it will not invalidate the remaining portions of this Arbitration Provision. If a conflict or inconsistency arises between the code of procedures of the selected arbitration administrator and this Arbitration Provision, this Arbitration Provision will control.

I need some guidance though the process of filing a MTC Arbitration, appearing in court on the motion, and (hopefully) initiating arbitration through JAMS.

Thank you in advance for your help and advise.

Here is the Motion to Compel Arbitration I've prepared so far.

MOTION TO COMPEL ARBITRATION

COMES NOW the Defendant, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, pro se, submits this Motion to Compel Arbitration.  Defendant states as follows:

1.   That on or about xxxxxxxxxx, Defendant was served with Plaintiff’s Complaint.

2.   Defendant filed their Answer to Plaintiff’s Complaint on xxxxxxxxxxx, through their attorney, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

3.   Defendants’ attorney, xxxxxxxxxxxxx, has withdrawn from the case.

4.   Defendant moves this court to compel binding arbitration based on the terms and conditions of the Loan Agreement dated xxxxxxxxxx.  (see Exhibit 1 attached).

5.   The other Loan Agreements that are part of Plaintiff’s action include a similar Agreement to Arbitrate Claims and a Small Claims Court option.

6.   The parties are bound by the Loan Agreements. These agreements include an Agreement to Arbitrate Claims and a Small Claims Court Option that states among other things:

a)      Any dispute, which cannot be adjudicated within the jurisdiction of a small claims tribunal (including claims transferred by the small claims tribunal to another court) shall be resolved by binding arbitration.

B)      Any Claim resolved by binding arbitration will be pursuant to (a) the Arbitration Provision and (b) the code of procedure of the national arbitration organization to which the Claim is referred.

c)      A Claim is defined as any dispute or controversy (whether in contract, tort, or otherwise) past, present or future.

d)     The Arbitration Provision is made pursuant to a transaction involving interstate commerce, and will be governed by the Federal Arbitration Act ("FAA"), 9 U.S.C. §§ 1 et seq., as amended, notwithstanding any other governing law provision in this Agreement.

7.   The Federal Arbitration Act (FAA) 9 USC, Section 1-2 provides:

“A written provision in any maritime transaction or a contract evidencing a transaction involving commerce to settle by arbitration a controversy thereafter arising out of such contract or transaction or the refusal to perform the whole or any part thereof or an agreement in writing to submit to arbitration an existing controversy arising out of such contract, transaction, or refusal, shall be valid, irrevocable and enforceable save upon such grounds as exist at law or in equity for the revocation of any contract”.  9 U. S. C. §2

8.   The Supreme Court Ruling, decided April 27, 2011, AT&T MOBILITY LLC v. CONCEPCION ET U, states that courts must enforce arbitration agreements according to their terms. If there is an arbitration clause in the contract, that clause must be honored.

"We have described this provision as reflecting both a “liberal federal policy favoring arbitration,” Moses H. Cone , supra, at 24, and the “fundamental principle that arbitration is a matter of contract,” Rent-A-Center, West, Inc. v. Jackson , 561 U. S. ____, ____ (2010) (slip op., at 3). In line with these principles, courts must place arbitration agreements on an equal footing with other contracts, Buckeye Check Cashing, Inc. v. Cardegna , 546 U. S. 440, 443 (2006) , and enforce them according to their terms, Volt Information Sciences, Inc. v. Board of Trustees of Leland Stanford Junior Univ. , 489 U. S. 468, 478 (1989) ."

Furthermore, "The “principal purpose” of the FAA is to “ensur[e] that private arbitration agreements are enforced according to their terms.” Volt , 489 U. S., at 478; see also Stolt-Nielsen S. A. v. AnimalFeeds Int’l Corp. , 559 U. S. ___, ___ (2010) (slip op., at 17). This purpose is readily apparent from the FAA’s text. Section 2 makes arbitration agreements “valid, irrevocable, and enforceable” as written (subject, of course, to the saving clause); §3 requires courts to stay litigation of arbitral claims pending arbitration of those claims “in accordance with the terms of the agreement”; and §4 requires courts to compel arbitration “in accordance with the terms of the agreement” upon the motion of either party to the agreement . . . "

9.   The Defendant elects arbitration to settle this dispute.

WHEREFORE, Defendant moves this Court to compel private contractual arbitration pursuant to the Loan Agreements and to dismiss Plaintiff’s complaint due to Lack of Subject Matter Jurisdiction or in the alternative, to stay proceedings pending contractual arbitration.

I filed my MTC today.  I read through it with a fine tooth comb and made some slight changes.

I included the Certificate of Mailing and sent copies to the Plaintiff's attorney.

I'm going to get my response to the Plaintiff's first set of interrogatories, request for production of documents, and request for admissions ready to go... just in case.

Does my Motion to Compel Arbitration stop the clock on my deadline to respond to these? 

23 hours ago, LaneBlane said:

I filed my MTC today.  I read through it with a fine tooth comb and made some slight changes.

I included the Certificate of Mailing and sent copies to the Plaintiff's attorney.

I'm going to get my response to the Plaintiff's first set of interrogatories, request for production of documents, and request for admissions ready to go... just in case.

Does my Motion to Compel Arbitration stop the clock on my deadline to respond to these? 

To bolded question, no.   Not until the MTC Arb is granted.   But there is an appropriate response to their discovery in the meantime.  OBJECT to each one of them, saying something like:  Objection.  Arbitration has been elected, and a jurisdictional motion is before the court.   Scope of discovery is to be determined by the arbitration forum.

You don't want to answer their discovery as you would normally in a court proceeding, if you want to use arbitration.   Going too far in litigation, which can include engaging in discovery, can waive your arbitration rights.  (It depends on state case law.)

• Like 2