×Jen×

Is it a HIPAA violation to list the name of a Health care facility on a credit report?

I havent been able to find any definite answers on this question.  it seems to me that a collection agency should not be reporting the name of the health care facility .. for example the name of a drug treatment facility...wouldnt that be horribly embarrassing? Aren't they supposed to used specific codes?

19 hours ago, ×Jen× said:

I havent been able to find any definite answers on this question.  it seems to me that a collection agency should not be reporting the name of the health care facility .. for example the name of a drug treatment facility...wouldnt that be horribly embarrassing? Aren't they supposed to used specific codes?

No.  The name of the health care facility is not a violation.  Only the release of Protected Health Information (PHI) would be a violation.

6 hours ago, debtzapper said:

No.  The name of the health care facility is not a violation.  Only the release of Protected Health Information (PHI) would be a violation.

Ok, thanks so much for getting back to me

On 10/1/2017 at 2:12 PM, debtzapper said:

I found this a little while back & I thought it might be helpful in case anyone had the same question I did.

Yes, it is a violation to list the name of a Health care facility on your credit report.

This is from the Civil Liberties Office web site.

H. Covered entities may report to consumer credit reporting agencies in accordance with the

Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA, 15 USC § 1681). These disclosures are limited to the

following PHI about the individual:

1. Name and address.

2. Date of birth.

3. Social Security number.

4. Payment history, and account number.

I. Minimum Necessary. Covered entities should make reasonable efforts to limit disclosures of

PHI for payment purposes to the minimum necessary to accomplish the intended purpose of the use, disclosure, or request.

9 minutes ago, ×Jen× said:

I found this a little while back & I thought it might be helpful in case anyone had the same question I did.

Yes, it is a violation to list the name of a Health care facility on your credit report.

This is from the Civil Liberties Office web site.

H. Covered entities may report to consumer credit reporting agencies in accordance with the

Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA, 15 USC § 1681). These disclosures are limited to the

following PHI about the individual:

1. Name and address.

2. Date of birth.

3. Social Security number.

4. Payment history, and account number.

I. Minimum Necessary. Covered entities should make reasonable efforts to limit disclosures of

PHI for payment purposes to the minimum necessary to accomplish the intended purpose of the use, disclosure, or request.

NO.  It is not a violation for Humpty Dumpty Hospital to be listed on your credit report.  You misinterpreted that section.  Name and address refers to the individual not the reporting entity.