kelliedn

Can I make these items exempt somehow

mm Not the end of the world if I can't, but I am considering filing BK7 and based on the Michigan law almost everything I have will be exempt.  I live in a mobile home worth around $6000.00 and I have a 2006 Vehicle worth around $2000.00

The couple of items I am wondering about include A. My minor sons laptop, B. My 9 mm handgun and C. My Echo/Alexa devices.

Can I roll these items into household if I am under the $3000.00 outside of that or will these items be sold off?

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(5ttmy2ku0ixhlzwbn1tg0wmc))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-600-5451

State of Michigan exemptions in link

(ii) Arms and accoutrements required by law to be kept by a person. (I am not required to keep my firearm, it is for personal protection only)

(c) The interest, not to exceed a value of $450.00 in each item and an aggregate value of $3,000.00, in household goods, furniture, utensils, books, appliances, and jewelry.

(h) The interest, not to exceed $500.00 in value, in 1 computer and its accessories.

Hmmm, I'm thinking I may be better off using the Federal exemption rather than the state since  my home and vehicle values are so low.  Household is much higher and also has a wild card expemption? for the Federal?  That would save my gun right? 

2 hours ago, kelliedn said:

I know I"m talking to myself.  I guess I'm working it out on here! lol!

I do the same thing but by actually talking to myself.  Sometimes verbalizing or writing it out can help make issues a little clearer.  :)

Of course, when one talks to herself such as I do, one must be careful not to do so in public.  :urcrazy:

• Haha 1

I am almost done with the paperwork for chapter 7.  Pretty proud of myself, although my case is pretty easy.  I did go with the Federal exemptions and that took care of all my personal property.  I have nothing available to liquidate.