Default Judgement Entered

EeekyE

15 minutes ago, EeekyE said:

A default judgement was entered for $3100 against me and I have no idea what to do at this point. Clearly I cannot pay upfront but can't afford to have my wages garnished. Has anyone experienced this before and how do I proceed? Thanks

Is this the Cap1 suit you posted about earlier?

California is one of the few states that allows you to file for exemption from garnishment due to poverty if they seek it.  Do you qualify?  

1 hour ago, Clydesmom said:

Is this the Cap1 suit you posted about earlier?

California is one of the few states that allows you to file for exemption from garnishment due to poverty if they seek it.  Do you qualify?  

yes! thanks for the response. I doubt that I qualify. i am not rich by any means but i don't think i fall under poverty. i make 42k a year. which SHOULD be poverty for CA :(

51 minutes ago, EeekyE said:

yes! thanks for the response. I doubt that I qualify. i am not rich by any means but i don't think i fall under poverty. i make 42k a year. which SHOULD be poverty for CA :(

If they move to garnish you have nothing to lose by applying for the exemption.  The worse that happens is it is denied.

How did they get a default judgment?  Did you skip court or forget to go to the trial?

9 minutes ago, Clydesmom said:

If they move to garnish you have nothing to lose by applying for the exemption.  The worse that happens is it is denied.

How did they get a default judgment?  Did you skip court or forget to go to the trial?

well i filed a response and needed to waive the filing fee and they denied that so m response was thrown out. then they moved to default. it was all very quick. is there usually a way to avoid garnishment and set up payments to the court? i have NO experience in this area and it is all very very stressful