CandyCLC

PayPal Credit - ARS

I have a delinquent account that I have been hounded for, they even called my husband's cell phone, not even remotely sure how they got his number. At any rate the letter now is from ARS National Services, with the amount of $1866.10. The letter offers a settlement of 839.75. Personally I think it's a good deal since I owe more than they are asking and I would take the deal as long as I could set up payments over time and not lump sums. I was digging around my TransUnion report today as another company is trying to sue me, and I notices there is nothing on the report at all about this debt. Is this normal? Has anyone been able to split payments up to pay off the settlements? I don't have the means to make large payments but would like to do something before this company tries to sue me later too.

A few important questions, as in VERY important.  

1.  Who is the original creditor?   

2. Who owns the debt now?  Did ARS buy the debt, or are they collecting for someone else?

3.  How can you be 100% sure this is legitimate?  Have you sent them a letter demanding debt validation?  If not, and if this is still within 30 days of their initial letter, you should do so.  

4.  Are you saving everything they mail to you, and logging every phone call they make?  You really should do that.  They might mess up and violate the law, which could be good for you and bad for them.

Here is my main goal:  if you prepare yourself BEFORE you are sued, you are usually in better shape than if you wait until they sue you.  You have another thread where it is now too late to do some of the things that could've avoided a law suit, because they've already sued.  For this case, you still have a chance to avoid a law suit.  

I would never make a deal with a collection company like ARS.  They don't own this debt and are collection for either paypal or someone paypal sold too.  PayPal credit is backed by Comenity Bank which has a good arbitration clause in it.

If this were me, I would file an arbitration case against ARS and Comenity for the TCPA calls placed to mine any my spouse's phones and ask for the max $1500 per phone call.  That should garner at least a mutual walk away settlement agreement.