SkyStillSunny

I have to pay the Arbitration filing? Only AAA allowed (Best Buy)

Thank you for your responses. I did respond to the letter with the suggestions made. I do believe the attorney works directly for PRA because his email address is a PRA address. He is the same attorney that I've had for the last year on the numerous hearings we've had on this.

If I file a bar association complaint, are there instructions on how to do this?

UPDATE: Well, the attorney met me in court yet again and the judge wanted to know what was going on with this case and mentioned that this is the longest case he had ever had regarding a debt collection. The attorney blabs on about how I agreed to pay the full amount of the filing fees and also said that it didn't seem fair that they had to pay $1250 and I only had to pay $250. Haha. That made me laugh a little. He obviously ignored every piece of mail that I sent that had the JAMS rules and fees. 

The judge took some time to read the letter the attorney sent and my response. Then he asked how much was in question, which was ~ $950. Then he asked for the credit card agreement, which I gladly gave him. I had a notarized affidavit, and he told me that didn't matter, that I'm not allowed to certify anything. Don't really know what that meant. Then the attorney stated that I got that agreement off some bogus website, and who knows where I got that. The judge asked PRA if he had an agreement, and the attorney said no.

Then finally, the judge told the PRA attorney, "I hate to say this, but the language in this agreement says that if the dispute is under $75,000, then the consumer pays their portion of the filing fees, which in this case is $250. No where does it say that the consumer has to pay 100%, and I don't recall the defendant saying that either. So you can decide to proceed with arbitration and pay the filing fees and hope to recoup some of that money back, but I'm not sure if that's what you want to do when the dispute in question is $950. Or you can dismiss this case. You have 60 days to pay the filing fee or this case will be dismissed." Although the way he worded it made it sound like he was apologetic to the PRA attorney because it was out of his hands. This is the judge that does not like me, and questions every piece of document I submit.

Anyway, YAY!!! Thank you all for helping me through this case until the very end. I'll still need to wait 60 days to see what this PRA attorney does, but crossing fingers he won't pay, then I can request a dismissal after that period is over. I've been fighting this guy for over a year. I appreciate all the advice here, and the confidence you've given me!

I think I've had 6 cases go to court, two I had to settle until I found this board, and now, this is my 4th that I've been able to get dismissed thanks to everyone's help. However, each time I get one dismissed, I seem to get another letter in the mail. :(

My backstory is basically a family medical emergency which cost us our whole life's savings, and in order to stay in our home and have food, we had to stop paying on CCs. Trying to slowly climb back to where we used to be, so I really am grateful to the people that help with their experiences and strategies and advice. It has made such a huge difference!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SkyStillSunny said:

Trying to slowly climb back to where we used to be, so I really am grateful to the people that help with their experiences and strategies and advice. It has made such a huge difference!

Same story and congratulations - great job! Can't believe attorney said you got agreement from a "bogus website" - because I'm sure someone has the time, money and insanity to create a bunch of realistic, yet fake, credit card agreements and post them online - classic!!!!

• Like 3

On 3/22/2019 at 3:46 PM, Goody_Ouchless said:

Same story and congratulations - great job! Can't believe attorney said you got agreement from a "bogus website" - because I'm sure someone has the time, money and insanity to create a bunch of realistic, yet fake, credit card agreements and post them online - classic!!!!

And ONLY change part of the arbitration section to state that the consumer is responsible for their portion of the filing fee per the JAMS consumer rules.  I guess that means the person setting up this site making these changes are also making bogus JAMS rules stating that the consumer is only responsible for $250 and not 100% of the filing fee.

• Like 2