Sign in to follow this  
AnonJ

Unknown debt buyer(suspected Midland) is attempting to serve me in the wrong county at an old address in Georgia. Please help!

Hello everyone ! 

I'm going to paraphrase the long story that brought me here. Basically , I was in a car accident a few years ago.  Failed spine surgeries and lost just about everything while waiting on workers comp . I'm still unable to work full time and I receive the weekly checks of what was a low paying government job.  This was my first job out of college . I had a few credit card debts that I worked hard to pay off but in the worst of it , they got charged off. I kept hoping I could return to work and settle it with the bottom feeders. I've had to move twice in the last year. My cousin notified me to today that I received a yellow post in Cherokee county stating to contact the Magistrate court regarding service or a SD car will be sent to the address.  I haven't lived in that house in 6 months and everything I have is registered in Cobb.  I've been out of town for month because my grandmother is ill so I have no idea what may be at the house I actually live out.  I plan on calling Cherokee county in the morning to notify them that I do not live in county.  Is this a bad idea? I know I have to deal with this .  I'm embarrassed. I thought I'd be healthier . I don't know what to do as I barely have enough to get by on. I've read over some of the other forums but didn't see anything on what to do if an attempt is made in a county you no longer reside.

Thanks in advance !

First, there's nothing to be embarrassed about.  Medical hardships are not anything that can be predicted or planned/accounted for.  Midland has posted on their website that they will not pursue a debtor with a medical hardship or fixed income, so even they, with their reputation as a bottom feeder, realize no good can come from harassing someone that is ill and has no way to pay.

As far as the service of process, I don't know how it works in Georgia, but I would say to give the Cherokee clerk a call and explain the situation and see what they have to say.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2018 at 12:40 PM, Harry Seaward said:

First, there's nothing to be embarrassed about.  Medical hardships are not anything that can be predicted or planned/accounted for.  Midland has posted on their website that they will not pursue a debtor with a medical hardship or fixed income, so even they, with their reputation as a bottom feeder, realize no good can come from harassing someone that is ill and has no way to pay.

As far as the service of process, I don't know how it works in Georgia, but I would say to give the Cherokee clerk a call and explain the situation and see what they have to say.

Thank you so much for your response . I just got back into town from visiting my grandmother and checked the mail.  I had 3 letters from Bankruptcy attorneys referencing the case number filed against me. I attempted to look it up online but there is no information yet. That's really good to hear about Midland. I will definitely call the clerk's office Monday morning. After reading some of the horror stories on here I was just a little afraid and apprehensive about what to do. I'm really ready to do whatever I can to put all of this behind me as I never thought that this would be my life before I turn 30. I kept thinking I'd get better but it's been a lot slower than I I had anticipated

22 hours ago, BackFromTheDebt said:

On top of that, you should call Midland and explain your medical situation, and see if they will agree to drop the case.

They may need verification.

Thank you so much for the advice. I replied a little bit more in detail above but I will definitely try that. 

Should it come to it, you can beat Midland in Cobb Co Magistrate Court.  But it can't hurt to call them and tell them your situation like others said.  If they drop the case, there is nothing to worry about.  If they give you problems, let us know.