Need help for motion for continuance - Kansas

I have a court docket set for later this month on a Monday for which I am being sued from Synchrony Bank. I attend an accelerated graduate program in which I go to school Monday-Thursday. On that specific date of the docket, I have two exams which will be very difficult to re-schedule. Tuesdays and Wednesday are also not convenient as I am at the hospital for 8-12 hours for my clinical hours.

I spoke with the Chapter 61 Limited Actions clerk in Wyandotte County, Kansas and was told that plaintiff will need to agree to a motion for continuance and if they refuse then I am SOL.

I contacted the plaintiff attorney, Kramer and Frank, and the rep verbally told me they will file for a motion of continuance but they do not file until the day of the docket when they're in front of the judge already. So If for some reason the judge denies the motion, then I am also SOL as I won't be there.

What are my options? I find it absurd that I cannot submit a motion for continuance on my own whether the plaintiff agrees to it or not. It should ultimately be up to the judge to decide if the continuance is reasonable in my situation.

3 hours ago, equalme said:

On that specific date of the docket, I have two exams which will be very difficult to re-schedule. Tuesdays and Wednesday are also not convenient as I am at the hospital for 8-12 hours for my clinical hours.

What you are not understanding is that the court does not give a rat's patoot if any of this is convenient for you.  Either hire a lawyer to represent you, reschedule the exam,or show up. If you don't show they will get a default judgment.