Sign in to follow this  
Marty Boi

Webbank/Fingerhut Rejected My Fraud Dispute

I had noticed an account on my credit reports from the three major credit bureaus, Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax, from Webbank/Fingerhut. An account I had not authorized, nor had any knowledge of. The account had been closed as a Charge Off with zero balance. Then I noticed a collections from LVMV Funding LLC, with Webbank/Fingerhut as the original creditor. Rather than speak to LVMV Funding LLC, I called Webbank/Fingerhut to dispute the account. Upon calling I was transferred to a fraud agent to discuss this matter. I told the agent that I had never applied for a Webbank/Fingerhut account or it's services, and that the account was opened fraudulently. That is when the agent went from being civil and cordial to being cantankerous and condescending, falling short of calling me a lair. The agent went on to tell me that there were four payments made on the account, that people who open accounts fraudulently by means of Identity Theft don't pay on the account. So the agent dismissed my request for this matter to be investigated. And told me from now on to contact LVNV Funding LLC because it owns the account. I don't know how to handle this. I did file a police report on this matter, and also an Identity Theft Report with the FTC. I also contacted Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax, and asked them to open a dispute for me. This since Webbank/Fingerhut refuses to do so. And I added a fraud alert with all three credit bureaus. Other than that I don't know what else to do. Any advice? 

Wait and see what comes of the CRA disputes. I would also dispute (including sending copies of the police report) directly with LVNV.

Here is the issue, you are going to be dealing with people whose parents are cousins and who do not have 2 functioning interconnected brain cells. In other words, it will take a lot of calls and aggravation to get this resolved. You do not owe the money but it will be a hassle to get these morons to believe it.

I agree with Harry that in addition to disputing with the CRAs, you should also send the police report and dispute the debt with LVNV directly. Don't be surprised however if LVNV simply ignores your dispute and continues to try to collect.

• Like 1

If both Webbank and LVNV are not fully removed from my credit report I would go with one of two options:  I would either contact a consumer attorney who can then sue both entities and likely end with having them removed from my credit reports plus a little cash in my pocket or file an arbitration case against both of them (which may be ignored and require a PTC in federal court).

On 1/3/2020 at 1:36 PM, Web/fresh start said:

I have them on my credit stating I owe them an have never ordered through them what can I do about this 

Start a new topic and see if people can help you here with some advice. You can also do what the OP did. Dispute the charges with all the credit bureaus. 

4 hours ago, mofotech said:

Start a new topic and see if people can help you here with some advice. You can also do what the OP did. Dispute the charges with all the credit bureaus. 

AND -- make sure to file a police report.  This is key.  Filing a police report means a LOT in fighting fraud.  If you haven't filed a police report, nobody will take you seriously.  Once you have filed a report, you are taken much more seriously.