Sign in to follow this  
Desperate620

confused about amount/validation

Hi, new here but desperately need some info. Got a demand for money ($1814.25) from Portfolio Recovery. Went to verify on credit report, found the same account with the same "status updated" date with LVNV. But here's where they differ. LVNV is (same account #) for $467. So, should I infer from this that Portfolio Recovery got this from LVNV(?) and decided to up the amount by 4x? Now I don't know whether to dispute the debt on the credit report, send them a debt validation letter (which I've read bad things about) or just wait to see if they take it to court (where I can dispute the amount)?

Thanks for any help

So you are sure they are the same account? Just asking, as sometimes one can have several accounts with same name (GE Money Bank, for example) owned by the same debt buyer. What date did LVNV last report and how long has PRA been reporting - did PRA's tradeline start at $467 and go up each month?

Nope, PRA started reporting in March 2018 at 1814.25. Oddly, LVNV started reporting at the exact same time at $467. And the account number and OC are the same (at least as much as they show on the credit report...)

I would do both.  Send a "DV Letter", which in reality is a very short dispute of the debt. i.e. "I dispute this alleged debt. Please verify".

I would also send disputes to the CRA for both the PRA and LVNV accounts and see what happens. 

I am inclined to believe that these are for 2 different debts, but that the partial account numbers being the same are either a mistake by the CRA or an odd coincidence.