Sign in to follow this  
withcoffee

How to answer Court Summons when getting ready to file for Bankruptcy

Hello I've seen that this forum has been a great help to others and hopefully there is someone out there who can guide me through this process.

I have received a court summons for a unpaid hospital bill that I unfortunately can not afford to pay. With others financial issues uprising I've decided to with go the process of filing for Bankruptcy. I just wasn't sure how I was to answer to the summons received when I haven't filed for Bankruptcy yet. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

I believe the advice will be to just answer (or ignore) the summons as if the bankruptcy didn't exist. The reason is that creditors hear the same thing everyday: "I'm declaring bankruptcy!" So few people actually follow through that creditors don't even listen.

I just wasn't sure what option to list in my answer? Would I just answer in person to the summons checking off General Denial; or would I just start my current situation

I would think General Denial and an explanation. It certainly can't hurt, it's just that they may not care.