Sign in to follow this  

Hi. I had been out of the country for about a year now and when I came back I checked my deliquent account on my Capital One and found out it has been charged off and Hunts & Henriques was listed. I remember receiving a letter from them last mid August but decided to toss it away. I know I regret it now. So after finding out their informtion on my capital one account, I decided to call them. I asked for Debt Validation and they sent me few days after a copy of a year worth of statement. The letter on the front just says this is the account statement I’ve requested and the bottom it says, this firm is a debt collector. My question is what do I do next? Do I need to send them again or call them to negotiate? But the problem is I’ve yet to find a job but willing  to pay monthly. Thanks for all your help.

Edited by Sinaayrha909
missing words

What they sent you is far beyond what they are required to provide in the way of validation. Asking for something else would be a waste of time because they aren't required to provide it.

Contacting them to negotiate a monthly payment plan is your best chance at avoiding a lawsuit against you, but with no job what's your strategy for being able to make the payments for whatever plan you agree to? I personally would not reach out to them until I had a job and was back on my feet financially.

When was your last payment on this account? The problem is that once you enter into a payment arrangement and or make any kind of payment towards the debt, there's a good chance that you reset the statute of limitations and they will have a much longer time to be able to sue you. If you're nearing the expiration for the statute of limitation, I would probably just lay low and see if they end up suing.

Thank you so much for the quick response. This thing has been stressing me out and I can barely sleep. To answer your question, the last time I paid this account was July 2017 and my debt’s $3500. I’m in california by the way. If they decide to sue me, what kind of letter should I be waiting for? Thanks.

36 minutes ago, Harry Seaward said:

What they sent you is far beyond what they are required to provide in the way of validation. Asking for something else would be a waste of time because they aren't required to provide it.

Contacting them to negotiate a monthly payment plan is your best chance at avoiding a lawsuit against you, but with no job what's your strategy for being able to make the payments for whatever plan you agree to? I personally would not reach out to them until I had a job and was back on my feet financially.

When was your last payment on this account? The problem is that once you enter into a payment arrangement and or make any kind of payment towards the debt, there's a good chance that you reset the statute of limitations and they will have a much longer time to be able to sue you. If you're nearing the expiration for the statute of limitation, I would probably just lay low and see if they end up suing.

5 minutes ago, Sinaayrha909 said:

This thing has been stressing me out and I can barely sleep.

5 minutes ago, Sinaayrha909 said:

I’m in california by the way.

Harsh answer is that you probably already know. 

8 minutes ago, Goody_Ouchless said:

Harsh answer is that you probably already know. 

I’m sorry but I’m new to this but what do you mean exactly? I get conflicting response everywhere. Like reading on some forums with same situation someone says I need to send second letter or to deny it. I dont really know. Thanks

Edited by Sinaayrha909
missing response

8 hours ago, Sinaayrha909 said:

Like reading on some forums with same situation someone says I need to send second letter or to deny it

You do NOT need to send a second letter.  There is no point they have met and exceeded what is required for validation.

This is what you need to know:  

Capital One is VERY aggressive and they will sue you eventually.  Especially that law firm.

By being out of the country for a year you tolled (stopped) the SOL and extended it but with a default date of a year ago it isn't a big problem because they have plenty of time to sue even under California law.

10 hours ago, Sinaayrha909 said:

My question is what do I do next?

Find a job.  The courts are so backed up and slow in California that even if they served you this month you won't go to trial for more than a year and that gives you plenty of time to get employed and settle before they get a judgment.  Right now I would concentrate on getting employed and saving up some money to offer a lump sum settlement.  

In California, for lawsuits under a certain amount, which yours is. Law firms typically send an intent to sue letter. They do this for a couple reasons. Code requires it so they can recover court costs if/when they get judgment and it also tends to get people to call because heydont want to be sued. Not saying they will send, but typically will get that 

13 hours ago, Debtguy393939 said:

On 9/9/2018 at 7:28 AM, Clydesmom said:

You do NOT need to send a second letter.  There is no point they have met and exceeded what is required for validation.

This is what you need to know:  

Capital One is VERY aggressive and they will sue you eventually.  Especially that law firm.

By being out of the country for a year you tolled (stopped) the SOL and extended it but with a default date of a year ago it isn't a big problem because they have plenty of time to sue even under California law.

Find a job.  The courts are so backed up and slow in California that even if they served you this month you won't go to trial for more than a year and that gives you plenty of time to get employed and settle before they get a judgment.  Right now I would concentrate on getting employed and saving up some money to offer a lump sum settlement.  

I really appreciate your help. I called and they asked my financial situation and told them my situation. They were willing to let me pay $100 a month for 2 years. It wasnt as hard as  I thought it would be. She said they are directly working with CO and since I called before it was too late. I asked her to send me the documents first before setting up the payment. I was going to ask for lump sum but I dont have the money and asking money from family is not an option. I think $2k is not bad for 2 years. Thanks so much.