Sign in to follow this  
rck3

Is a collection request even valid?

So quick question for my son, he worked PT delivering pizza which in college in some not so great areas.  One day in May when he returned from a delivery someone called to pizza place and said someone in a black car hit their parked car.  My son was in the area but did not hit anyone (I do trust him, he's had a accident before and could have gotten away but was truthful plus the facts dont even line up).  As soon as the report was received, the pizza place and my son called the police as it is not uncommon for someone to try and scam doing this.  The police came out looked at my sons car and saw no damage which is stated in the report.  The report said there was damage to the other persons car but no indication it was from my son.  My son then immediately reported the incident which his insurance came and took photos and said they would simple deny the claim as there was no indication of an accident, they also said the other insurance was going to deny. Later on his insurance company stated that they would not have covered it anyway given delivery is not an allowable use under his policy (another separate issue resolved but his agent did not ever tell him he could not and he since quit delivery due to this fact).  Now 4 months later he received a letter from a collection agency on behalf of the other insurance for about $1600.  He never received anything prior to this stating his fault or requesting payment.  The letter is also worded very vague, no stating he has to pay or at fault and does not even mention anything about his rights under collection.  He is contacting his agent again (waiting to hear back) but normally I know we have 30 days to dispute but should we even respond given this letter doesnt even sound official or provide the requirements of a collection letter?

26 minutes ago, rck3 said:

He is contacting his agent again (waiting to hear back) but normally I know we have 30 days to dispute but should we even respond given this letter doesnt even sound official or provide the requirements of a collection letter?

Wait to see what the agent says but my instinct is telling me that ultimately you will need to dispute it.   From a legal perspective he owes the other driver nothing until a court of law says he does.  Since this is not a credit issue legally they should not be able to report it to the bureaus.  If they did I would dispute it as not a credit transaction.  If they did sue then his insurance would defend the claim.  My guess is that either the agent will send a letter or tell him to stating the police determined he was not involved and therefore is not legally or financially responsible for damage he did not cause and refuse to pay.  If they sue you defend.