RobinR

Some opinions, please

2 hours ago, Brian Gray said:

You can either take it from them, or you can listen to some armchair warrior who knows nothing about law. 

You're an idiot.

13 minutes ago, Goody_Ouchless said:

You're an idiot.

:banana2: THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I saw the garbage he posted on the other sites (now removed because of the inaccuracies) and it was beyond ridiculous.  The shame of it is that he has now come here to pimp his book since he no longer has other forums.

3 hours ago, Brian Gray said:

The fact that hundreds of thousands of people have read my article (which I recently removed from HubPages, i.e., Tough Nickel), and thousands have won their cases in court using that material, is sufficient proof that the advice I have given is correct.

You have NO proof that "thousands" have won their case simply because of what you said.  Your material is outdated and worked a decade ago but no longer does.  If your "material" is so wonderful why take it down?

Usually, two things overlap here, one being that you had already sent them a request for verification of the debt, and their “premature” filing of suit. 

10 years ago:  yes.  Today:  NO.

But, do not forget, as I mentioned before, in order for a junk debt buyer to file a suit against you, according to the consent decree filed against Portfolio Recovery Associates and others by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the junk debt buyer must be in possession of the following:

The major part you leave out is the consumer has NO private right of action if they do violate this and there is plenty of case law showing that consent decree is NOT binding on the courts.  I echo what @Goody_Ouchless said:  your're an idiot.  You also ignored the TOS for this site so you can sell your snake oil after losing the other forums.  Printing a penny press book and hawking it as a private seller on Amazon or your GoDaddy website doesn't make you an expert.  Get lost.

1 hour ago, willingtocope said:

He's gone now...

Thank you!

@Brian Gray

With all due respect, your claim that allegedly “hundreds of thousands of people” have read your article does not prove that your article has helped thousands win their cases in court.

Would you care to post your article here so that we can read it and have a respectful and honest debate?

Respectful debate enables everyone to learn factual  information.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Clydesmom said:

Thank you!

A debate is necessary.   He should be allowed to defend his claims.   That is how we learn.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BV80 said:

A debate is necessary.   He should be allowed to defend his claims.

He wasn't debating. He was criticizing this site and those here along with pimping his website along with his book on Amazon.  No debate just cheap sales attempts and insults.  I didn't delete his post or restrict his access.  I don't have that authority.

5 hours ago, Clydesmom said:

He wasn't debating. He was criticizing this site and those here along with pimping his website along with his book on Amazon.  No debate just cheap sales attempts and insults.  I didn't delete his post or restrict his access.  I don't have that authority.

I regret missing his post.  I know you didn’t ban him.

He’s not banned now, so let’s see if he comes back and is willing to defend his claims.  If @Brian Graycan support his claims, he shouldn’t have a problem with a constructive discussion.

It almost sounded like some of the Sovereign Citizen nonsense you can find on YouTube. These folks commit traffic violations, without a license, and present some convoluted argument that just ends with them getting arrested instead of just taking a ticket.

I came here by invitation from a member, and all I received immediately was condescension and rudeness.  Here is an example:  "I saw the garbage he posted on the other sites (now removed because of the inaccuracies) and it was beyond ridiculous.  The shame of it is that he has now come here to pimp his book since he no longer has other forums."  "Garbage?"  Really!  As a person with a degree in Language and who has studied Law, as well, I spent quite some time researching some of the best law professors at the best law schools to come up with the material that I published in my article, You Can Beat Credit Card Debt Collectors.  That article, designed to offer help to people being taken advantage of by unscrupulous junk debt buyers, was published in April of 2012 and was read by literally hundreds of thousands of readers.  I know the count, because every author on HubPages receives that information daily.  Furthermore, I know the number of people who wrote to tell me that they won their cases, many of them quoted in my book.  But for the person who wrote that my article was  "...now removed because of the inaccuracies.."  you set yourself up for a libel and slander lawsuit, since your statement is both false and malicious.  I was NOT removed from HubPages.  I enjoyed a good relationship with them for many years, but I recently signed an exclusive contract with another publisher, and I ordered all  91 of my articles removed from the site last month.  I came here by invitation to share my training and expertise, but all I have found is a bunch of arrogant and rude people who deal in false statements.  I therefore have nothing further to add.  If that is how you treat people who wanted to help, my time is too valuable to waste here.  Trash me all you want to, but you have proven what you are by how you treated someone who only came to share.

P.S.  Another fine example of the false assumptions and allegations against me:  "He wasn't debating. He was criticizing this site and those here along with pimping his website along with his book on Amazon.  No debate just cheap sales attempts and insults."  I see nothing I have written here that came to be so misinterpreted.  Someone stated that I should not be afraid of discussion.  Discussion I am quite familiar with; Libel, slander, false allegation...that is NOT discussion, at least not in polite circles.  Sorry folks, but if it is sharing you want, I am all too happy to help, but if it is insulting and attacking you want, I don't have the time to waste.

@Brian Gray

You can block certain posters, if you so desire.

As you can read from my previous posts in this thread, I have shown via court rulings and law just a few of the inaccuracies in your article. 

47 minutes ago, Brian Gray said:

As a person with a degree in Language and who has studied Law, as well, I spent quite some time researching some of the best law professors at the best law schools to come up with the material that I published in my article, You Can Beat Credit Card Debt Collectors

With all due respect, courts do not rely on the opinions of law professors.  Courts rely on support for claims, including affirmative defenses, by way of evidence, court precedent, and correct interpretations of laws.   

9 hours ago, BV80 said:

he shouldn’t have a problem with a constructive discussion.

He has a problem with anyone who contradicts him, proves him wrong or disagrees.  He isn't looking for a discussion or debate.  He is looking to build his business and you are giving him the forum to do it.  

In my opinion giving him another place to disseminate his bad information where an inexperienced desperate consumer will not thoroughly read or understand thus believeing it is accurate is a HUGE mistake.  Sadly there is nothing we can do because it is out there now.  I feel bad for those who will ultimately fall for the nonsense he puts out and end up in a worse situation.  

I remember back when I was massively in debt, finding, buying and reading  a remaindered book about fighting the creditors.  

The methods did me no good.  

Then I found CIC. 

I was able to get rid of over $100k in credit card debt.  Granted, some of the methods I used are out of date.  Racking up tons of violations, then taking OCs who no longer have arbitration agreements to JAMS and getting a mutual walk away doesn’t work as well as it used to.  But in the long run I was able to get through the process getting more in settlements from bad actors than I paid in debt settlement.  Not much more, but enough to pay for part of a family trip and get some new appliances.  

This fellow talks about how he has a degree in language.  What does that have to do with anything?  Not a lawyer.  I have a PhD in another area completely unrelated to law.  That and $5 will get you a latte at a Starbucks around the block from the courthouse.  Since I have 3 degree, I must be 3 times as smart.   Or something.   

I may be misinterpreting him, but he seems to say he read articles by law professors.  Whoop de doo.  We read laws and cases here.  

The collective wisdom of CIC is well over a decade of fighting creditors in a changing environment.  It is about what has saved debtors millions of dollars.  We are not making a penny off of it. (*) We are here to pay it forwards.  To help others the way we were helped.  

Folks on this site, and on the deceased sister site, have spent countless hours researching laws, fighting debt collectors, and finding out what has worked for others

Yes, we have made mistakes.  But we learned from them.   

Many of us have tried the bad strategies and tactics which can be found floating around the internet.  We have seen how they work. Not well.   

What we haven’t done is make money by putting together a compilation of strategies and tactics, good and bad, and sell them to unsuspecting dupes.  I am not accusing anyone, but if the shoe fits...

This author wants to whine about how people here are picking on him.  Well, some of the people here can be really tough.   Some do not suffer fools gladly.   

Perhaps the author would get a better reception if he addressed some of the specific attacks on his work.  For example, the author was attacked for saying defendants can win a case by demanding a signed credit card application.   I don’t think I signed any applications since the 1990s.   If this actually worked, the author should be able to refer us to case law showing where it actually works.  As in case law within the past few years.   

(*). Not making a penny refers to the individual posters, not anyone who advertises on the site or runs the site.  

• Thanks 1

On 6/13/2019 at 10:37 PM, Brian Gray said:

That article, designed to offer help to people being taken advantage of by unscrupulous junk debt buyers, was published in April of 2012 and was read by literally hundreds of thousands of readers.  I know the count, because every author on HubPages receives that information daily. 

The count to which you are referring is not a count of the number of readers who have read your article.   It is based upon “page views.”   That is the number of times your article has been accessed and viewed.  

For instance, 10 people can access and view your article 10 times apiece.   There will be 100 views but only 10 readers.   In addition, each time you access your own article can be counted as a “view.”