MouseRabbit

In California Being Sued by Cavalry SPV I LLC as Assignee of Citibank NA

36 minutes ago, MouseRabbit said:

Thanks for letting me vent to you - I know I'm preaching to the choir. But damn, it seems to me that there's no redeeming qualities to JDBs - or maybe just the practices they currently employ - How is it that they can still exist?

You got it!  Again, such is life -- it it makes money, someone will be out there making money on it!  The JDB "litigate-by-numbers" business model makes TONS of money!!!  The percentage of people who go to the trouble to fight back must be TINY!!!  And the percentage of those who do it the right way must be TINIER still.  It's a numbers game!  They don't even bother with the people who have a clue.  There is too much money to be made with those who don't!!  That's why there are so many California dismissals in the forum lately!    Just a numbers game! 🤪

Congratz, again!! You beat them at their own game!! 🥳

On 11/14/2019 at 8:04 PM, MouseRabbit said:
On 11/26/2019 at 5:43 PM, MouseRabbit said:

Thanks for the interest - I definitely owe this community a follow up!

I took your advice, @LoveIsPower , and called the plaintiffs law firm, Mandarich Law, but never got thru. The gatekeeper just said she'd take a message for me. I called twice on Monday and then once on Wednesday (trial date was Friday). I was also extremely busy with work so it was tough to find the time with so many other things needing attention. I'm a costume designer / wardrobe stylist for commercials and this time if year gets very, very busy for me and then dries up at the beginning of the new year so I have to take as many gigs as I can get and juggle them. So I kept checking the status of my case and it remained "pending". 

Two weeks before I had gone to the courthouse to see some trials and noticed a lot of dismissals happening - these dismissals were different than the ones I had seen before - it was people showing up and being informed that their case was dismissed. This was new - people being told "dismissal" as a surprise. Something seemed different, so I just told myself it was gonna be okay - maybe Cavalry and Mandarich Law are having a falling out(?) I thought.  

During the 11 months I awaited my trial dated, I had gone to the courthouse a total of 6 times to see trials because I wanted to see someone give an objection (never saw even one) and I also wanted to see if anyone else was defending their case with a similar strategy to what's proscribed on this forum (never saw any of that either). 

Night before my trial, I printed out some of the materials shared from this forum but I was so tired I didn't really study it - I justified it in my mind by thinking "this is not a trial brief but during the meet and confer, I can brandish this stack of papers and make them believe that it's a trial brief so they back down." I was really tired...

I also knew that I would always be referring to the debt as "the alleged debt" and object, object, object. 

In the case that the judge did somehow allow any of their evidence in - I noticed that their ID# for my alleged account was inconsistent across 2 documents - it's a 20 digit ID# that is a combo of numbers and letters and the last 2 digits were different on 2 pages. And then there was a 3rd page where they messed up on their formatting of a table and cut off the last 2 digits of this ID# - or maybe that was intentional? So I knew that I'd be able to show that to the judge and it might be enough to have reasonable doubt.

I showed up to the court and met their rent-a-lawyer. She was very friendly and said "we are dismissing this with prejudice - you really didn't have to show up, but I guess if I were you, I would've showed up too. You're free to go, I already let the court secretary know." 

So I left. I had to be on set at a commercial and I was getting sent texts about technical issues.

I checked the case summary online and it confirms the case was dismissed but it says "dismissal without prejudice"  - they told me they would dismiss WITH prejudice. Either way it is now well after the SOL so I don't think I'll worry.

I hope this information is helpful to anyone in need of help or reassurance. I'm glad that I never had to appear in front of the judge. I really wasn't ready to be honest. But I don't I would've ever got this far without the help I received here. Also, I asked my father if he'd be able to help me with this early on - he did one night of research and concluded that I should just reach out to the jdb and give them whatever they want rather than go to court and end up with legal fees. I'm so lucky I found this place and that you are here.

Okay  - so can I dispute the collections on my credit report now?

congratulation on your victory!