misbhavn

Being Sued by OC (Conns)

On 2/27/2019 at 3:14 PM, misbhavn said:

Thanks for all of the input guys. One quick question...if I file an affidavit as exhibit "x" and reference it in my amended MTC, I assume that the affidavit should have exhibit "x" on it somewhere, correct?

First, "X" was just for my example.  You would use whatever letter is next in sequence from any other evidence that has been submitted so far in your case.  The proper way to label evidence is to have a cover page prior to the affidavit that Just says "Exhibit X" centered on it.  Google images has lots of examples of this.

Plaintiff's attorney has filed an objection to my motion even though it was denied. I suppose they anticipate my refiling it. In part, they are saying I've engaged in litigation . Can I be considered engaging in litigation by simply filing and answer and MTC? Here is part of the objection. I'd like to hear your thoughts?

A. The original contract with Plaintiff., has been terminated due to Defendant's default, therefore the right to arbitration has been terminated.

4. The original contract between the parties has been terminated due to the defendant' s default. Per the terms of the agreement at the time of  Defendant's original contract with the Plaintiff, Plaintiff can choose to terminate this Agreement as a result of the Defendant defaulting on his payments. As Plaintiffs records indicate, the Defendant's account was charged off on or about [REDACTED], thereby terminating the agreement between the parties.

5. As illustrated above, the Arbitration Agreement referenced in Defendant's Motion was terminated due to the Defendant's default on the original contract and Defendant's interest in arbitration did not arise until after the contract had been terminated. There is no longer an Arbitration clause that would apply, and thus it would be improper for the Court to stay or dismiss the suit at bar and order arbitration.

B. The Defendant has waived its right to arbitration by engaging in the litigation process

6. The Texas Supreme court has recognized that a party waives an arbitration clause by substantially invoking the judicial process to other party's detriment or prejudice. See Perry Homes v. Cull, 258 S.W.3d 580, 584 (Tex. 2008). Defendant' s motion has caused Plaintiff to go to the trouble of creating and filing its response. If the court granted Defendant's request for dismissal of Plaintiff's suit, it would unfairly prejudice Plaintiff and be to the detriment Plaintiff, due to the costs of filing, service and litigation response thusfar.

C. Defendant has not asserted any claims against Plaintiff. A Claim is required in Arbitration.

7. There is no claim here by the Defendant to pursue in Arbitration. In order to proceed to Arbitration, Defendant must bring forward some claim. Instead, Defendant is attempting to bring Plaintiff's claim against Defendant into the Arbitration arena. Plaintiff is not interested in engaging in Arbitration for its claim of the debt that is owed, they are solely interested in pursuing it within the litigation space. Defendant cannot determine where Plaintiff brings its claim where Defendant is the cause of the breach and has set forth no counter allegation. To provide Defendant with the ability to do so would unfairly prejudice Plaintiff and reward Defendant for their misconduct with respect to the contract.

My quick thoughts:

A.  Wow, the contract has been terminated?  Then maybe you don't have to pay them!  How dare they file a lawsuit to enforce a contract that has been terminated.   Less sarcastic answer:  does the arb clause contain survivability language?

B.  Depends on state law.  But usually just filing an answer and the MTC arb is not substantially engaging in litigation.  Filing discovery would be engaging in litigation.

C.  Depends on the arb clause language.  If it says "any dispute" or similarly broad language,  that should be sufficient to invoke arb,   And/or you could state you have claims you wish to bring in arb (consumer laws?), but do not need to detail them at this time.  I guess they want you to file a counterclaim before you could pursue arb.  But that would be engaging in litigation, thereby precluding arb (argument B,).  Catch-22.

• Haha 1

On 1/22/2019 at 8:33 PM, misbhavn said:

Being the OC, I would assume that they should have no problem coming up with the necessary documentation to prove their case. I did manage to dig up a couple of the contracts and there is an arbitration clause in there for either NAF or AAA. It does state that "This arbitration clause does not apply to any legal remedies that may be pursued to collect monies owed under the Agreement".

What exactly does the applicable contract's arbitration section say? Could you possibly have a plausible consumer law violation claim for an initial AAA demand? This refutes their argument and gets around the italized statement above. Just a thought.

Here's an attorney's white paper on arbitration inTexas:

https://www.jw.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Enforcing-and-Avoiding-Arbitration-Clauses-2018.pdf

@Brotherskeeper There are NO consumer law violationS that I am aware of, but I'm not exactly sure what the laws are on the subject. Below is the arbitration clause in the agreement. I apologize for the caps.

YOU AGREE THAT ANY CLAIM, DISPUTE OR CONTROVERSY ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO THIS AGREEMENT, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, DISPUTES RELATING TO ANY DOCUMENTATION GOVERNING YOUR OBLIGATIONS UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, ANY CLAIM DISPUTE, OR CONTROVERSY ALLEGING FRAUD, MISREPRESENTATION, OR OTHER CLAIM, WHETHER UNDER COMMON LAW, EQUITY, OR PURSUANT TO FEDERAL, STATE, OR LOCAL STATUTE OR REGULATION, ANY DISPUTE RELATING TO COLLECTION ACTIVITIES TAKEN BY CONN’S, OUR AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, AGENTS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, SERVICERS, DIRECTORS, OR ASSIGNS REGARDING MONIES OWED UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, OR THE SCOPE AND VALIDITY OF THIS ARBITRATION CLAUSE (INCLUDING DISPUTES AS TO THE MATTERS SUBJECT TO ARBITRATION), OR THE ENFORCEMENT OR INTERPRETATION OF ANY OTHER PROVISION OF THIS AGREEMENT, SHALL BE RESOLVED BY BINDING INDIVIDUAL (AND NOT CLASS) ARBITRATION BY AND UNDER THE ADMINISTRATION OF: (1) THE NATIONAL ARBITRATION FORUM (“NAF”) IN ACCORDANCE WITH ITS CODE OF PROCEDURE IN EFFECT AT THE TIME THE CLAIM IS FILED, (2) THE AMERICAN ARBITRATION ASSOCIATION (“AAA”) IN ACCORDANCE WITH ITS ARBITRATION RULES IN EFFECT AT THE TIME THE CLAIM IS FILED, OR (3) IF FOR ANY REASON EITHER THE NAF OR THE AAA IS UNABLE OR UNWILLING OR CEASES TO SERVE AS AN ADMINISTRATOR OF THE ARBITRATION, OR IN ANY EVENT BY AGREEMENT OF THE PARTIES, THE PARTIES AGREE TO SELECT A LOCAL ARBITRATOR WHO IS AN ATTORNEY, RETIRED JUDGE, OR ARBITRATOR REGISTERED AND IN GOOD STANDING WITH AN ARBITRATION ASSOCIATION, AND WHO IS EXPERIENCED IN CONSUMER FINANCE AND DEBT COLLECTION, TO ARBITRATE THE DISPUTE CONSISTENT WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF THIS AGREEMENT AND PURSUANT TO SUCH ARBITRATOR’S RULES. THE CLAIM OR DISPUTE WILL BE ARBITRATED BY A SINGLE ARBITRATOR ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS AND NOT AS A CLASS ACTION. YOU AND WE ARE WAIVING THE RIGHT OR OPPORTUNITY TO LITIGATE DISPUTES IN A COURT OF LAW. ANY ARBITRATION HEARING THAT IS HELD WILL TAKE PLACE AT A LOCATION THAT IS CONVENIENT TO YOUR RESIDENCE. THIS ARBITRATION CLAUSE ID MADE PURSUANT TO A TRANSACTION INVOLVING INTERSTATE COMMERCE AND SHALL BE GOVERNED BY THE FEDERAL ARBITRATION ACT (9 U.S.C. 1-16), AND NOT BY ANY STATE LAW THAT MIGHT OTHERWISE APPLY. JUDGEMENT UPON THE AWARD MAY BE ENTERED IN ANY COURT HAVING JURISDICTION. YOU UNDERSTAND THAT UNDER THIS ARBITRATION CLAUSE, YOU EXPRESSLY WAIVE YOUR RIGHT TO PARTICIPATE AS A CLASS REPRESENTATIVE OR A CLASS MEMBER ON ANY CLASS ACTION CLAIM YOU MAY HAVE AGAINST US, OUT AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, EMPLOYEES, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, AGENTS,SERVICERS OR ASSIGNS, INCLUDING ANY RIGHT TO CLASS ARBITRATION OR ANY CONSOLIDATION OF INDIVIDUAL ARBITRATIONS. THIS AGREEMENT DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A WAIVER OF ANY OF YOUR RIGHTS AND REMEDIES TO PURSUE A CLAIM INDIVIDUALLY  (AND NOT AS A CLASS ACTION) IN BINDING ARBITRATION AS PROVIDED ABOVE.

THIS ARBITRATION CLAUSE DOES NOT APPLY TO ANY LEGAL REMEDIES THAT MAY BE PURSUED TO COLLECT MONIES OWED UNDER THE AGREEMENT. THIS ARBITRATION CLAUSE IS AN INDEPENDENT AGREEMENT AND SHALL SURVIVE THE TERMINATION, PAYOFF OR TRANSFER OF THIS AGREEMENT. IF ANY PART OF THIS ARBITRATION CLAUSE IS FOUND BY A COURT TO BE UNENFORCEABLE FOR ANY REASON, THE REMAINDER OF THIS CLAUSE SHALL REMAIN ENFORCEABLE.

On 3/9/2019 at 6:43 PM, misbhavn said:

A. The original contract with Plaintiff., has been terminated due to Defendant's default, therefore the right to arbitration has been terminated.

4. The original contract between the parties has been terminated due to the defendant' s default. Per the terms of the agreement at the time of  Defendant's original contract with the Plaintiff, Plaintiff can choose to terminate this Agreement as a result of the Defendant defaulting on his payments. As Plaintiffs records indicate, the Defendant's account was charged off on or about [REDACTED], thereby terminating the agreement between the parties.

Please post the section of the original contract that defines "default," and where in that section it claims plaintiff has the right to terminate the terms of the arbitration clause below:

9 hours ago, misbhavn said:

THIS ARBITRATION CLAUSE IS AN INDEPENDENT AGREEMENT AND SHALL SURVIVE THE TERMINATION, PAYOFF OR TRANSFER OF THIS AGREEMENT.

• Haha 1

THIS ARBITRATION CLAUSE DOES NOT APPLY TO ANY LEGAL REMEDIES THAT MAY BE PURSUED TO COLLECT MONIES OWED UNDER THE AGREEMENT.

I am not a lawyer. As I understand this clause above, any claim you bring in arb has to be something other than the "monies owed" to them. @fisthardcheese advises you never list plaintiff's debt claim in your AAA demand anyway; you let the them file their own demand. This clause below states you do not waive your right to bring a claim as provided in the beginning of the contract's arb clause:

THIS AGREEMENT DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A WAIVER OF ANY OF YOUR RIGHTS AND REMEDIES TO PURSUE A CLAIM INDIVIDUALLY  (AND NOT AS A CLASS ACTION) IN BINDING ARBITRATION AS PROVIDED ABOVE.

Here are the claims/disputes you can bring to arb:

10 hours ago, misbhavn said:

ANY CLAIM, DISPUTE OR CONTROVERSY ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO THIS AGREEMENT

DISPUTES RELATING TO ANY DOCUMENTATION GOVERNING YOUR OBLIGATIONS UNDER THIS AGREEMENT

I think any state or federal consumer protection law violations are covered below:

ANY CLAIM DISPUTE, OR CONTROVERSY ALLEGING FRAUD, MISREPRESENTATION, OR OTHER CLAIM, WHETHER UNDER COMMON LAW, EQUITY, OR PURSUANT TO FEDERAL, STATE, OR LOCAL STATUTE OR REGULATION,

ANY DISPUTE RELATING TO COLLECTION ACTIVITIES TAKEN BY CONN’S, OUR AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, AGENTS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, SERVICERS, DIRECTORS, OR ASSIGNS REGARDING MONIES OWED UNDER THIS AGREEMENT,

They claim this arb clause is no longer valid because your default terminated it. Sounds like a dispute for the arbitrator to resolve.

THE SCOPE AND VALIDITY OF THIS ARBITRATION CLAUSE (INCLUDING DISPUTES AS TO THE MATTERS SUBJECT TO ARBITRATION),

THE ENFORCEMENT OR INTERPRETATION OF ANY OTHER PROVISION OF THIS AGREEMENT, SHALL BE RESOLVED BY BINDING INDIVIDUAL (AND NOT CLASS) ARBITRATION BY AND UNDER THE ADMINISTRATION OF: (1) THE NATIONAL ARBITRATION FORUM (“NAF”) IN ACCORDANCE WITH ITS CODE OF PROCEDURE IN EFFECT AT THE TIME THE CLAIM IS FILED, (2) THE AMERICAN ARBITRATION ASSOCIATION (“AAA”) IN ACCORDANCE WITH ITS ARBITRATION RULES IN EFFECT AT THE TIME THE CLAIM IS FILED,

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 3:43 PM, misbhavn said:

Plaintiff's attorney has filed an objection to my motion even though it was denied. I suppose they anticipate my refiling it

You cannot just refile the motion because it was denied.  That falls under Res Judicata:  the court already decided this issue/matter.  Your only option is to appeal the denial to a higher court.  You would need specific case law for Texas backing up why the trial judge's denial was an error in law or process.

1 hour ago, Clydesmom said:

You cannot just refile the motion because it was denied.  That falls under Res Judicata:  the court already decided this issue/matter.  Your only option is to appeal the denial to a higher court.  You would need specific case law for Texas backing up why the trial judge's denial was an error in law or process.

You can ask a judge to reconsider your motion, especially on the grounds of a technical violation. The plaintiff would do the same thing.

10 hours ago, Brotherskeeper said:

Please post the section of the original contract that defines "default," and where in that section it claims plaintiff has the right to terminate the terms of the arbitration clause below:

ACCELERATION UPON DEFAULT: Purchaser shall be in default hereunder if: Purchaser fails to pay any scheduled installment when due; Purchasers fails to perform any other obligations hereunder; or Seller reasonably believes that the prospect of payment or performance is impaired. If purchaser is in default, Seller may, at its option, without notice or demand, declare immediately due and payable the entire unpaid balance of the contract less any credits or refunds of unearned Finance Charge or insurance premiums as described above under the paragraph entitled "prepayment, Renewal and Financing". Purchaser also waives the right to receive notice of the seller's intent to accelerate the debt.

ACCOUNT CHARGE-OFF: In the event purchaser defaults on this Agreement which results in subsequent charge-off of the account by the owner of this account, the said account owner may, at its option, without notice or demand, cancel any existing insurance policies or repair service agreements. In the event of insurance policy or repair service agreement cancellation, no refund of any amounts paid by Purchaser for any such policy or agreement will be due to Purchaser. Refunds will be applied to the balance of the defaulted account. If at any time the Purchaser elects to cancel the insurance policy or repair service agreement, all refunds due under the policy will be credited to the account.

Neither of those clauses terminates the arbitration agreement.

The first clause simply means that in the event of default, the creditor has the right to demand that the full amount owing is due rather than just the defaulted payments. That has nothing to do with arbitration

The 2nd clause simply states that in the event of default, any purchased add-on insurance (such as repair) will be discontinued, again nothing to do with arbitration.

You need to find the clause which states that arbitration is null and void.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WhoCares1000 said:

You need to find the clause which states that arbitration is null and void.

I don't think it exists. If it did, it would be in conflict with this statement of the Arbitration Clause:

On 3/15/2019 at 12:25 AM, misbhavn said:

THIS ARBITRATION CLAUSE IS AN INDEPENDENT AGREEMENT AND SHALL SURVIVE THE TERMINATION, PAYOFF OR TRANSFER OF THIS AGREEMENT.

On 3/16/2019 at 9:44 AM, Brotherskeeper said:

I don't think it exists. If it did, it would be in conflict with this statement of the Arbitration Clause:

This is correct. It doesn't exist.

On 2/22/2019 at 4:35 PM, misbhavn said:

The judge denied my MTC arbitration because I forgot to include a certificate of service and has scheduled a pretrial conference.

Can you explain a bit more about the judge's denial?

Is there a judge's written order denying your motion?

Did the judge give you any indication that your failure to include a certificate of service is a defect that could be cured? 

9 hours ago, Brotherskeeper said:

Can you explain a bit more about the judge's denial?

Is there a judge's written order denying your motion?

Did the judge give you any indication that your failure to include a certificate of service is a defect that could be cured? 

There has been no communication from the court whatsoever. The only reason I knew my order was denied is because I asked the clerk about it when I filed my answer on the other two cases. To date, I never received anything from the court indicating the order was denied. I have not spoken to the judge.

I was required to submit an order for the judge to sign when I filed the MTC. The judge simply drew a long line diagonally across the page and wrote " Denied No C.O.S.". I have been given no indication either way as to whether or not I can refile the MTC. I have yet to file to MTC in the other two cases because I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row this time. I used the MTC provided by @fisthardcheese in his arbitration thread.

11 hours ago, misbhavn said:

I was required to submit an order for the judge to sign when I filed the MTC. The judge simply drew a long line diagonally across the page and wrote " Denied No C.O.S.". I have been given no indication either way as to whether or not I can refile the MTC.

Did the judge actually sign the order in the signature space for the judge at the bottom? 

Who, exactly, would give you an "indication" whether or not you can refile the MTC? The Texas rules of civil procedure are the place to research. Do you have a self-help site, a legal aid group or bar association volunteer in your area you could ask for guidance? @texasrocker may know.

On 3/14/2019 at 9:25 PM, misbhavn said:

THIS ARBITRATION CLAUSE DOES NOT APPLY TO ANY LEGAL REMEDIES THAT MAY BE PURSUED TO COLLECT MONIES OWED UNDER THE AGREEMENT.

Doesn't this make arbitration moot?

16 hours ago, Goody_Ouchless said:

No, at worst, it would directly conflict with this paragraph:

On 3/15/2019 at 12:25 AM, misbhavn said:

YOU AGREE THAT ANY CLAIM, DISPUTE OR CONTROVERSY ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO THIS AGREEMENT, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, DISPUTES RELATING TO ANY DOCUMENTATION GOVERNING YOUR OBLIGATIONS UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, ANY CLAIM DISPUTE, OR CONTROVERSY ALLEGING FRAUD, MISREPRESENTATION, OR OTHER CLAIM, WHETHER UNDER COMMON LAW, EQUITY, OR PURSUANT TO FEDERAL, STATE, OR LOCAL STATUTE OR REGULATION, ANY DISPUTE RELATING TO COLLECTION ACTIVITIES TAKEN BY CONN’S, OUR AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, AGENTS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, SERVICERS, DIRECTORS, OR ASSIGNS REGARDING MONIES OWED UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, OR THE SCOPE AND VALIDITY OF THIS ARBITRATION CLAUSE (INCLUDING DISPUTES AS TO THE MATTERS SUBJECT TO ARBITRATION), OR THE ENFORCEMENT OR INTERPRETATION OF ANY OTHER PROVISION OF THIS AGREEMENT, SHALL BE RESOLVED BY BINDING INDIVIDUAL (AND NOT CLASS) ARBITRATION

And according to this paragraph, any conflicts or interpretation questions regrading the arbitration clause itself is for an ARBITRATOR to decide on.  Therefore, Arbitration in this matter is wholly appropriate.

• Like 1

At what point is the definition of "dispute" stretched beyond all recognition? It seems the contract couldn't be any clearer that debt collection is not subject to arb clause. Mistake on lawyer's part for arguing that contract is void, rather than sticking with the obvious exception in the contract, itself.

20 hours ago, Goody_Ouchless said:

It does.  The OP does not have any claims against the OC on this one.  Of course the professional deadbeats will argue to the bitter end that they are right and can arbitrate ANYTHING despite what the contract says.  Eventually the court should tire of the nonsense and deal with it.

3 hours ago, fisthardcheese said:

And according to this paragraph, any conflicts or interpretation questions regrading the arbitration clause itself is for an ARBITRATOR to decide on.  Therefore, Arbitration in this matter is wholly appropriate.

NO, that clause merely states that any arbitration is confined to individual claims.  It addresses class action only.  They have a clear  and concise statement not allowing arbitration over debt collection.  It isn't even the least bit vague.  I am sure you will invent something to justify your statement though.

NO, that clause merely states that any arbitration is confined to individual claims.  It addresses class action only.  They have a clear  and concise statement not allowing arbitration over debt collection.  It isn't even the least bit vague.  I am sure you will invent something to justify your statement though.

The one trick that debt collectors HATE:  Reading a contract.

Again:

4 hours ago, fisthardcheese said:

YOU AGREE THAT ANY CLAIM, DISPUTE OR CONTROVERSY ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO THIS AGREEMENT, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, DISPUTES RELATING TO ANY DOCUMENTATION GOVERNING YOUR OBLIGATIONS UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, ANY CLAIM DISPUTE, OR CONTROVERSY ALLEGING FRAUD, MISREPRESENTATION, OR OTHER CLAIM, WHETHER UNDER COMMON LAW, EQUITY, OR PURSUANT TO FEDERAL, STATE, OR LOCAL STATUTE OR REGULATION, ANY DISPUTE RELATING TO COLLECTION ACTIVITIES TAKEN BY CONN’S, OUR AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, AGENTS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, SERVICERS, DIRECTORS, OR ASSIGNS REGARDING MONIES OWED UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, OR THE SCOPE AND VALIDITY OF THIS ARBITRATION CLAUSE (INCLUDING DISPUTES AS TO THE MATTERS SUBJECT TO ARBITRATION), OR THE ENFORCEMENT OR INTERPRETATION OF ANY OTHER PROVISION OF THIS AGREEMENT, SHALL BE RESOLVED BY BINDING INDIVIDUAL (AND NOT CLASS) ARBITRATION

I don't have to "invent" anything.  The bank did it for me and put it in their own contract, in plain language.

Eventually the court should tire of the nonsense and deal with it.

What is the court going to "tire" of?  Interpreting contracts?  That is 95% of their business.

@fisthardcheese 

See Tex. Civ. Prac. & Rem. Code § 171.026.

Sec. 171.026.  VALIDITY OF UNDERLYING CLAIM.  A court may not refuse to order arbitration because:

(1)  the claim lacks merit or bona fides;  or

(2)  the fault or ground for the claim is not shown.

Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 5.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1997.

• Like 1