Trying to collect on time barred

livingtoolarge

I got a interesting letter from a debt collector yesterday. It said they would accept 12 monthly payments of $300 as full and final resolution on the account.

The full balance is $8300

it goes on to say...the law limits how long you can be sued for a debt. because of the age of the account, we cannot sue you. if you do not pay the debt, we may report or continue to report as unpaid.

im guessing this is from 2012ish?

1 hour ago, livingtoolarge said:

I got a interesting letter from a debt collector yesterday. It said they would accept 12 monthly payments of $300 as full and final resolution on the account.

The full balance is $8300

it goes on to say...the law limits how long you can be sued for a debt. because of the age of the account, we cannot sue you. if you do not pay the debt, we may report or continue to report as unpaid.

im guessing this is from 2012ish?

Once the SOL for suit passes all they can do is send a letter like you received stating "please pay us" and that is pretty much it.  Yours is slightly different in that the reporting period has not expired yet.  I would take a peek at my credit report through the back door of the bureaus and see if it is reporting and if so when it should be removed.  If it is from 2012ish then it should come off this  year if not VERY VERY soon.  In that case I would send a letter stating I refuse to pay and cease and desist all communications.  If they sue you there is a gold plated violation of the FDCPA and if they continue collections after the cease and desist same thing.  There is NO way I would pay and risk resetting the clock on that.