4. Original creditor: Discover Bank
  5. Was served on 07/15/2018
  6. Served by person coming to my residence
  7. Letters from Suttel And Hammer before filing suit/prelegal letter
  8. Live in Woodland Hills, CA
  9. Last time paid account: around 1.5 years ago
  10. Opened account more than 3 years ago
  11. SOL on account: For CA,  is 4 years
  12. Status on case:Filed a General Denial within time limit and also served Plantiff with request for production of documents certified.

I am wondering what my next step is. I served Suttell and Hammer with request for production of documents and the time frame has now passed (35) days to respond. They have not provided any type of documentation attached to summons and now are not responding to my requests. I am starting to wonder if they have the necessary paperwork to win in court. I was reading that I should file a meet and confer and then a motion to compel discovery, but I am a little confused on how to do all that. I know if they don't respond to that I can file a motion to dismiss. Can anyone help me with this? I was looking on the court website and there is no form for motion to compel discovery only a meet and confer form. What needs to be filed and how do I do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Our court date is not till 07/11/2019. I want to make sure I'm prepared and file all the necessary paperwork within the time limits. Also I have read a lot about pushing them into arbitration to get them to drop the case. Is that something I should be considering? 

Thank you

How far are you past the deadline for them to respond? Do your court rules allow for extra time for postal mail? And what do your rules say about what to do if they miss a deadline? 

I can guarantee you right now the court won't dismiss the lawsuit for not responding to your first discovery requests. First you will have to file a second request, and notify the court. If you still get nothing,  you then fine a motion to compel them to respond. The court will issue an order for them to respond within 10 days or whatever. But it'll never get that far. I'm guessing the responses are in the mail already. If not, you'll definitely get a response after your second request. 

And they will win in court, so be prepared for that reality. 

it has been 35 days. I was going to send out a letter today giving them a deadline to respond so that when I file the motion I have everything documented if I still don't get a response.

What do your rules say about how to proceed when the other party doesn't respond by the deadline? 

Just got a response today. They sent a blank contract from 2015 which has no terms of use on it along with ending statement balances starting in 2016( ending monthly statement with balance, payment and interest charged but nothing saying what the charges were for).  There is nothing before that date and the starting balance is $3600. The statements done have any individual charges either. Don’t they have to provide that? There was a validation letter signed by a witness in Ohio as well. 

They responded to my requests refusing to send any more documents because it was too costly, burdomesome and stated I could get the documents myself. They also objected stating that they don’t have to disclose anything about their case before trial and the documents are unnecessary which is absolutely not true. 

What is my next step here? 

I have 2 accounts and forgot password to the first one so I am using this one now. If I can’t win this I will settle at trial however I know there is more paperwork I can file first to try and win. 

1 hour ago, SarahK said:

They sent a blank contract from 2015 which has no terms of use on it

What do you mean a blank contract with no terms of use?

1 hour ago, SarahK said:

Don’t they have to provide that?

Are you saying you didn't get monthly billing statements from Discover while the account was active?  You only have 60 days to dispute a charge.  If you didn't dispute it at the time, the only way you can re-open that can of worms is to allege you didn't get billing statements.  They will testify they sent them to the name and address shown on the statements and, if this is (or was) your correct address, that will be that.

1 hour ago, SarahK said:

They also objected stating that they don’t have to disclose anything about their case before trial and the documents are unnecessary which is absolutely not true. 

What exactly did you ask for and what exactly did they say?  Exactly....

2 hours ago, SarahK said:

I know there is more paperwork I can file first to try and win.

Like what?

I guess what I meant by that is they sent me a 3 page print out of terms of credit which has no interest rate or anything like that and no signature. It's just a printout of their terms of usage.

The other paper that I was trying to upload was their response to my production of documents.

1.It says plaintiff objects on the ground of relevancy that information or documents sought do not appear to be reasonably calculated to lead to admissible evidence. 

2. Plaintiff objects to the disclosure of any documents that are privileged or contain facts or information that is privileged as the result of a communication between Plaintiff and its attorneys.

3. Plaintiff objects to the production of the Plaintiff's counsel trial preparation materials and/or contain mental impressions, conclusions, opinions or legal theories of Plaintiff's attorneys and further objects on the grounds that the information requested was prepared in anticipation of litigation or of trial.

4. Plaintiff objects to any Requests that require Plaintiff to obtain documents from third parties that are equally available to Defendant and could be obtained by Defendant directly and is therefore more convenient for Defendant and less burdensome and expensive to the Plaintiff.

I had asked for the original contract, proof that they own the debt and a set of accounting statements. They sent the accounting statements. 

There objections are as follows: Plaintiff objects to this discovery request on the grounds that it is improper as overbroad, unduly burdensome, vague and ambiguous. Plaintiff further objects in so far as this request seeks documentation which is or should be in the Defendant's possession. 

3. There was a letter signed by Courtney Reams verifying the records sent which is signed and dated from New Albany, Ohio, so I'm assuming this is their witness? Is this who I would subpoena to go to court? 

I'm not sure what to do next. I have read a lot that Discover is a tough one, but if they do have all the valid documents, I'd like to make a settlement offer rather than get a judgement in court. How does that work? When is the best time to propose that? Do I wait till we go to court and then ask if we can have a settlement conference before the trial to try to come up with an amount? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I have never been sued before and would like to put this behind me. 

10 hours ago, SarahK said:

I guess what I meant by that is they sent me a 3 page print out of terms of credit which has no interest rate or anything like that and no signature. It's just a printout of their terms of usage.

There is no signed contract and the courts know it. You know you didn't sign a contract.  The TOU defines your use of the card and their responsibilities. Once you applied for and received the account the TOU clearly states that using the account and making payments IS the contract between you and Discover.  The interest rate is NEVER in the TOU.  It is a separate document.  The court knows that too.  Not to mention the interest rate is irrelevant to your default.

I had asked for the original contract, proof that they own the debt and a set of accounting statements. They sent the accounting statements. 

There is no original contract and the court knows it.  Waste of time. Proof they own the debt?  They ARE the creditor. Good grief.  

I'd like to make a settlement offer rather than get a judgement in court. How does that work? When is the best time to propose that? Do I wait till we go to court and then ask if we can have a settlement conference before the trial to try to come up with an amount? 

You need to settle this.  Discover is the creditor and you used defenses for a junk debt buyer suit.  All you did was advertise to them you don't know what you are doing.  Second:  they don't necessarily need a live witness to attest to their own records even in Cali. They are the creditor.  

You simply call the attorney and make a settlement offer.  If it is accepted get ALL terms in writing before you pay.  

I have read a lot that Discover is a tough one, but if they do have all the valid documents, I'd like to make a settlement offer rather than get a judgement in court.

What they have produced is sufficient to win in court. They are the original creditor so any possible chain of custody arguments are of the table. They've produced undisputed billing statements in your name and address. Credit cards do not, and virtually never have, a "signed" contract. They also have a witness testifying about your account. 

This isn't a criminal trial with a beyond reasonable doubt threshold. It's preponderance of evidence - most likely scenario. They are presenting hard copy black and white evidence and your only argument is "so what?". In order to overcome what they have,  you have to a.) present a plausible alternate explanation for all of their evidence, or b.) make their records untrustworthy. You won't succeed on b.) with "so what?". You might be able to raise a doubt on the affidavit, but that's only possible at trial, and by then your settlement window will have closed. 

Thanks for the info. The only reason I asked for all those documents was because I read about it on this forum so I thought I was doing the right thing. Like I mentioned I haven't been through this before. I am going to wait 60-90 days and try to make a settlement offer. Hopefully they will accept. 

Yeah, unfortunately what you read here isn't always accurate. Also, it sounds like you are confusing lawsuits from JDB with those from original creditors. While the gap is narrowing, a JDB does have a higher burden of proof because of the fact they have to prove they purchased your debt. This is not the case with an OC and all they have to show is you made charges and didn't repay it. 

Spoke to Discovers attorneys today and they are offering a 70% settlement in the amount of 4650. Original debt is 6540 which over 1000 is interest and fees. Isn't this a bit high? I initially countered at 40% and she barely came down. I was hoping to at least get to a 60% offer if paid in lump sum. She also offered monthly payment arrangements which are doable but they are for the entire balance. Any advice on how to get this number down? We are leaning towards the payment plan just in case we do decide to file for BK next year we wouldn't be out very much money. Shouldn't they give you a break on the balance on the payment plan as well?

6 hours ago, SarahK said:

Original debt is 6540 which over 1000 is interest and fees. Isn't this a bit high?

You are fortunate they discounted it at all.  This is an easy win for them in court or arbitration.

Any advice on how to get this number down?

Getting a lower settlement is about leverage.  You have none.  The cards are stacked on their side of the table.

Shouldn't they give you a break on the balance on the payment plan as well?

SMH.  NO.  You defaulted once.  If you expect them to take a chance on you again that you will make all your payments as agreed they will want a consent judgment and the full amount.  The problem is you are looking at this as personal and emotionally.  They are a business whose goal is to make a profit.  Once your default disrupted their business their willingness to work with you ended.  This is a business decision for them and nothing more.  It is based on risk to benefit ratio and your risk is high because you already defaulted once and they are suing you.