Sent Midland a settlement offer, got a dispute confirm?

fishlips

Hi folks!

I received a letter from Midland Credit Management today that I'm confused about. I have a collection with them and March 15th I sent a settlement offer CMRR. I did a lot of research on this site (THANK YOU!) and offered to pay 50% of the debt to settle which would then be removed from the CRA's when I hit the 2 year mark per their policy on their website. Today, I got a letter back from them: "We have received and processed your dispute. After reviewing, we have found that our information is correct. We have enclosed documents regarding the account." The "enclosed document" is a plain white letter from Synchrony informing me that the OC account was sold to MCM in May 2018. In the letter is also a box that says: "You have indicated that the following item(s) pertain to your account: We are uncertain of what you are specifically disputing." At the end... "In response to your dispute, we have requested that the three major credit reporting bureaus change the status of this account to "Disputed".

What the heck is this? My settlement letter does not contain the word "dispute" anywhere in it. Why do they think my settlement offer is a dispute? What should I do? Will my score be affected at all? 

Thank you all so much for the help. This forum has helped me immensely in repairing my credit from my past stupid decisions! Thank you!

On 4/11/2019 at 11:17 PM, fishlips said:

Hi folks!

I received a letter from Midland Credit Management today that I'm confused about. I have a collection with them and March 15th I sent a settlement offer CMRR. I did a lot of research on this site (THANK YOU!) and offered to pay 50% of the debt to settle which would then be removed from the CRA's when I hit the 2 year mark per their policy on their website. Today, I got a letter back from them: "We have received and processed your dispute. After reviewing, we have found that our information is correct. We have enclosed documents regarding the account." The "enclosed document" is a plain white letter from Synchrony informing me that the OC account was sold to MCM in May 2018. In the letter is also a box that says: "You have indicated that the following item(s) pertain to your account: We are uncertain of what you are specifically disputing." At the end... "In response to your dispute, we have requested that the three major credit reporting bureaus change the status of this account to "Disputed".

What the heck is this? My settlement letter does not contain the word "dispute" anywhere in it. Why do they think my settlement offer is a dispute? What should I do? Will my score be affected at all? 

Thank you all so much for the help. This forum has helped me immensely in repairing my credit from my past stupid decisions! Thank you!

This is the automated collection mill at work.  Someone who goes through thousands of letters a day glanced at yours for 2 seconds and decided to code it into their system as a dispute or something similar, and their system generated their generic dispute response.

Luckily they did you a favor and now you can save that 50% by waiting for them to file a suit in court and then making them dismiss that suit with prejudice in exchange for dismissing your FDCPA and FCRA claims in arbitration against them.

Thanks for your reply @fisthardcheese! Does them sending me this "dispute" letter affect the arbitration process at all in terms of them violating anything that I can use against them? I doubt it but figured I'd ask. I have another account with MCM thats also from Synchrony (thank you arbitration gods) and I was going to send them the same settlement letter, just for a different account. If them sending me a dispute letter in response doesn't affect anything then I'll save my 7$ sending certified mail and wait for them to file. 

Should I start reading up on exactly what I need to do for arbitration and get my paperwork ready so when they do file I'll have it all on hand? Thanks so much for your help! I'm going to be studying up on your arbitration strategy now. I should've paid off the OC in the first place to avoid this mess but I'd rather go through the hoops of arbitration and getting my 2 accounts dismissed than pay someone who bought my debt for 100$!