I have 5 judgment liens against my home in Georgia which are all old credit card debt resulting from divorce. They range from $15k to $1k and total more than $30k. 

I had no way to even begin addressing these till now. My house is all I was awarded after 27 years of marriage. No alimony, no retirement, nothing. 

So these have been sitting, growing,  and the collectors blow me up pretty regularly, even calling my family threatening my demise. 

So now, I'm prepared to make a lump sum offer in return for all liens to be removed. 

Four of the five are with the same law firm, totalling $27k. The other one I'll deal with separately, at $6k. 

I'm prepared to offer the 1st four a lump sum of $10k. That's all I have. If they don't accept it, they'll have to wait a few decades until I croak. 

The property will then go to my children, who may also sit on it for their lifetime.  

Will they accept the $10k and settle now? I have no other assets and negligible income. I'm barely getting by as it is. This is it. If they don't accept as satisfied debt I'll go on a vacay and let the liens sit. 

What are my chances? There's been no garnishment because there's nothing to garnish. No big bank accounts to seize. 

How should I attempt this? By myself or better served by an attorney? 

4 hours ago, TMZERO said:

even calling my family threatening my demise. 

You have better options here.  Threatening your demise is a violation of federal (and possibly state) consumer protection laws, such as the FDCPA.  Are the threatening and harassing calls the reason you want to settle these debts and remove the liens?    It sounds like, except for the property and liens, you are judgment-proof.

Since the creditors have judgments, and will eventually collect the entire amounts, with interest, IMO they are not likely to entertain settling for much less.  (But I could be wrong.)

I'm also not sure if your children can inherit the property, with the liens, without paying them off.   I would suggest consulting a lawyer about this.

But, as for the threatening calls:  First, I hope they were recorded.  If not, you (and your family members they are calling)  need to start recording them now.  Second, consult with a consumer attorney, who, if you have a good case (which means proof, such as recorded calls, caller id info) will sue the debt collectors.  At no cost to you, and you can receive up to $1000 in statutory damages.  After you sue them, they are likely to leave you alone.

If the harassment is what is really bothering you, you need to develop the debt warrior mindset.  If I got a call like that, it would not distress me.  I would consider it opportunity.

I REALLY want to remove the liens.  I saw an attorney today who said I also have the option of bankruptcy and keep my home. This may be something I do if the creditors won't negotiate. I'd rather not, but I will if forced to. 

These are old.... 5, 6, and almost 7 years ago and off my credit. 

We'll see. 

Judgments in Georgia expire after 7 years. It's possible for a creditor to renew a judgment, but they must do this before the 7-year mark. If that mark passes, they still have the option to revive a dormant judgment, but they have to do this within 3 years of the 7-year expiration date. 

I'd lay low. If your financial situation isn't likely to change in the next 10-15 years, your credit report will reflect that and they will likely give up at the 7-year mark. 

That's the whole point... my financial situation. I was a stay at home mother all my life then my 27 year marriage ended. 

I had zero funds to hire decent representation, so I got screwed with no alimony, no future retirement and a house with liens. 

I couldn't pay then and all I have now is this one time lump sum. No negotiations,  no payment plans, nothing. 

If they don't accept, they can pick my bones when I die. I think they'll ALL renew the liens. 

Now one particular law firm said today, "We're not currently settling judgment liens. Maybe in a couple of months". 

Stalling tactic? That's what I think. All I got is time. But I'm going to use that lump sum for bankruptcy if i don't hear anything.

If you want to get rid of the liens, bankruptcy might be the best way to do it, especially if you can keep your house and other assets.  Note, you probably won't be allowed to keep $10K in cash in a BK Chapter 7.

I would do something about those threatening phone calls.  What they are doing is illegal and unethical.  They need to be stopped and punished, not rewarded by a payment.  Which will prove to them that their bully tactics work.

On 4/17/2019 at 9:45 AM, TMZERO said:

even calling my family threatening my demise. 

What exactly does this mean? What was said, word-for-word? 

13 hours ago, Harry Seaward said:

I'd lay low. If your financial situation isn't likely to change in the next 10-15 years, your credit report will reflect that and they will likely give up at the 7-year mark. 

I've heard of a few collection cases that were dormant, close to reaching the SOL, that turned on a dime because the consumer disputed the trade line with the credit bureaus.

It's best to let sleeping giants lie.  In the meanwhile, tuck the $10,000 away.

• Like 1

The nasty calls were worded in a way that implies I'm going to jail, but doesn't come right out and say it. It's a recording and they call my parents, my children and my ex. 

I'm sure they say just enough to scare you (too bad, doesn't illicit a fear in me), but stay within the law. 

As I said before, my credit rating has rebounded nicely and this is not about raising my score. Many of these are close to 7 years and renewing them will do them no favors. The 10k is not in my hands. It's safe. 

Wondering when I'll hear back from them. They'd be nuts not to settle. 

24 minutes ago, TMZERO said:

The nasty calls were worded in a way that implies I'm going to jail, but doesn't come right out and say it. It's a recording and they call my parents, my children and my ex. 

STOP!  DO NOT pay anyone yet.  If they are leaving a recorded phone message with everyone else stating "a file has landed on their desk.  They are coming to serve you with papers at your place of employment/home, there is a risk of jail, you are being charged with fraud." etc then this is very likely a SCAM.  

Post what they said VERBATIM before you do anything else.  

Hypothetically presuming this is a real attempt at collecting on the judgment leaving the messages with everyone else is not a violation.  They have to threaten YOU.  The people they called would have to send a cease and desist and if they continued to call it would violate the TCPA.

I'll see if I can find the recording.