Sign in to follow this  
akarotzy

REAFFIRMED Car Loan Through Chapter 7 BK

I filed bankruptcy in 2015. Prior to the bankruptcy I had several late payments on my auto loan. During the course of the bankruptcy filing, I elected to keep my car and reaffirmed my debt. My lawyer advised me at the time that the prior late payments would be expunged from my credit report and only payment history going forward would be reported. She mentioned that the lender would likely create a new account for the remaining balance of the original note. This did not happen. The lender reports my account in its entirety, including the late payments prior to the bankruptcy. I requested that they update my credit report, to which they declined. What is the proper expectation and handling of this account? I believed filing for bankruptcy would offer a clean slate, however, with these late pays remaining on my credit report, I am still penalized even though my credit and payment history has been spotless ever since. I almost wish that I would have included the car in the bankruptcy.

Thank you for your input. Much appreciated.

Contact your BK attorney about this and see what they say. That is why you paid for the attorney in the first place.

• Like 1