themxb17

Debt Letter from Stenger and Stenger

Hi, I am new to the forum and I saw similar posts as this but I was just wondering if I can get info on my specific post.

I recieved this letter from stenger and stenger about twodays ago. I am just wondering if I can get some advice and wisdom from you guys. 

This is not a summons or anything but I've read that these people will sue.

Any thoughts? 

Thanks in advance! I am in Ohio by the way.IMG_4176.thumb.jpg.e674a0035d1e895864080914b0467771.jpg

I would reply with a simple dispute letter.  I would say "I dispute this alleged debt. Please verify", and nothing more.

This will buy a little time.  I would read about arbitration in the link below in my signature.  Arbitration is a good way to get them to dismiss a lawsuit, however, with the credit one contract, there will be an issue if they file in small claims court.  I don't know if OH uses small claims for debt collections, but if they do, then you may need to think about filing an arbitration case before they can sue you.

10 hours ago, themxb17 said:

Hi and thanks for your response. Fortunately this isnt a lawsuit or summons

Understood, but you asked a very general question ("can i get some advice?") and provided almost no details. 

11 minutes ago, Harry Seaward said:

Understood, but you asked a very general question ("can i get some advice?") and provided almost no details. 

I apologize. I received this letter a couple of days ago. I've read on the forums that these people most definitively always sue.

3 hours ago, fisthardcheese said:

I would reply with a simple dispute letter.  I would say "I dispute this alleged debt. Please verify", and nothing more.

This will buy a little time.  I would read about arbitration in the link below in my signature.  Arbitration is a good way to get them to dismiss a lawsuit, however, with the credit one contract, there will be an issue if they file in small claims court.  I don't know if OH uses small claims for debt collections, but if they do, then you may need to think about filing an arbitration case before they can sue you.

I'm not sure if they do but I can try and find out. Also thanks!

8 minutes ago, Brotherskeeper said:

@themxb17 The Ohio threads by @MikeB35, with the help of Ohio's @nobk4me should have useful info for you. 

" but in Ohio, JDBs can't use small claims court "  That is what I was looking for.  @Brotherskeeper coming through with the key info as always!!

So, in this case, all I would do is send the dispute letter and then lay low and do nothing.  If they sue you, you will be able to file a Motion To Compel Arbitration and eventually end with a dismissal.  Read those threads Brotherskeeper posted above as well as my arbitration post and you will be armed with all the info you need to beat them if/when they sue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fisthardcheese said:

" but in Ohio, JDBs can't use small claims court "  That is what I was looking for.  @Brotherskeeper coming through with the key info as always!!

So, in this case, all I would do is send the dispute letter and then lay low and do nothing.  If they sue you, you will be able to file a Motion To Compel Arbitration and eventually end with a dismissal.  Read those threads Brotherskeeper posted above as well as my arbitration post and you will be armed with all the info you need to beat them if/when they sue.

I appreciate all of you guys! Now is a dispute letter the same thing as a debt validation letter?

55 minutes ago, themxb17 said:

I appreciate all of you guys! Now is a dispute letter the same thing as a debt validation letter?

Also should you I send the letter to lawyer's address as well as the debt collection agency's address?

56 minutes ago, themxb17 said:

To be specific, a debt validation letter should both dispute the account and request validation.  The example given by @fisthardcheese did both.

1 minute ago, themxb17 said:

Also should you I send the letter to lawyer's address as well as the debt collection agency's address?

Send it to the address of the party who sent you the letter.   That would be Stenger & Stenger.  LVNV would be under no obligation to respond because that company did not send you the communication.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BV80 said:

To be specific, a debt validation letter should both dispute the account and request validation.  The example given by @fisthardcheese did both.

Send it to the address of the party who sent you the letter.   That would be Stenger & Stenger.  LVNV would be under no obligation to respond because that company did not send you the communication.

Alright, Thank you!

23 hours ago, Brotherskeeper said:

@themxb17 The Ohio threads by @MikeB35, with the help of Ohio's @nobk4me should have useful info for you. 

Im so glad I can help others going through tough times. Please keep in mind as you go through my thread that I did learn as I went. YOUR court rules may be different then mine, but make sure to check and see. I hope the info guides you to success, and calms your nerves a bit. Proofread many many times and check for any kind of errors.

• Like 1