aTex-vet-42

first discovery in Tx county court?

I'm helping someone with a PRA LLC case here in Tx and I just noticed in the court record that they also have "first discovery" written in small letters under the heading?

I've tried to find definitions for this and what if any timelines there may be for dealing with this detail that was different from my case that was just dismissed.

I hope to redact and scan what i found tonight or tomorrow so I can help them deal with this possible issue? I have found 2 threads in here that i have "followed" that talk about discovery but, as its my learning curve just starting..... I'm not sure what to relate it to - to fully grasp what were dealing with here so far.

They had been served and sent a near identical denial answer to court etc a while back (approx 2 months ago now?) but, I'm worried that not seeing or realizing that discovery thingy could it cause problems now or soon? There is currently no date set for court yet.... the info i see on courts website shows no action yet to their case.

Thanks again oh wise ones for the reality you share every day to us all.

Texas requires the court's permission to conduct discovery. We just had one of our Texas members get poleaxed at trial because they didn't ask for discovery.

Using arbitration, if available in the card/loan agreement, is a better way to go anyway. 

https://www.creditinfocenter.com/community/topic/329436-arbitration-overview-and-strategy-2018-most-up-to-date-info/

Only in JP courts discovery must be pre-approved.  In county and district courts you can send discovery as long as it is in line with the TRCP.   "First discovery" means the plaintiff most likely embedded discovery in their original petition.