CANTTAKETHISSTRESS

HERTZ RENT A CAR - UNLAWFUL PRACTICE OF DUNNING RENTAL-CAR CUSTOMERS FOR PURPORTED DAMAGE

Good afternoon, 

I am in a dilemma and not sure how to address it. Long story short. I worked for Lyft.,

Because I had no car, I rented a few  different cars from Hertz.

The last Hyundai Sonata 2016. When I picked up car, the under body of the bumper was damaged from left to right . Associate said that was the only car that he had, I told him to send me pics, so I have back up in case of them blaming me for the damage, Jan 21 comes around, I turned in the Sonata, I advised the associate that a branch got stuck on the right side of the front bumper when it was raining outside (which left a crack in the bumper) he told me to fill out a Hertz claim form. I did that , marked, on the claim form, only the front bumper has damage (once again the entire underside of bumper was already damaged. Jan 30th, I received my security deposit back . Now, April 2019, a lady calls me out of the blue and tells me "you owe $1000.00 deductible for the Hyundai Sonata that is totaled; First thing I told her, "I want to see evidence, you say I owe you  money, wheres the proof." I waited and waited until about a bit over a month later, I get a letter referencing the $1k that I owe them, they sent me some black and white pics. I contacted them, told them I need these pictures in color in order to distinguish everything. So, they took pictures Feb 5th, the car is in a JUNK YARD. An appraisal they sent me on the repairs etc is over $10,000.00. I know I did not do all that damage as they claim. I investigated Hertz online and there is a class action lawsuit going on, however; that attorney cannot take me or add me to his class action suit. I am frustrated that they are trying to get this money from me, when I know dang well, that I did not cause all the damages (they are totally dunning  for purported amount due)they are claiming in their pictures and the appraisal. Since I rented the vehicle there have only been 12 miles added to the odometer. 

Now I just received a letter from a collection agency and it has got me freaked out. So, I have decided to type up, mail certified, and 

I am going to do a cease and desist for Hertz and the bill collector. Does anyone know of an attorney that I might call that is probono. Or what would you recommend, if anything. 

Thanks for reading, can't take this stress

4 hours ago, CANTTAKETHISSTRESS said:

Does anyone know of an attorney that I might call that is probono.

Pro bono work is typically reserved for criminal cases not civil.  I am not sure you can even get a lawyer to take this on contingency.  

You have a few problems.  First did you disclose to Hertz you were using their car as a Lyft driver?  If not any insurance you took from them may not cover the damages.  Next:  there are only 12 miles since the damage.  Where did that come from?  Next:  your own car insurance may not cover this since you were working for a ride share agency.  Did you disclose to them what you were doing?  Did you keep pictures of the condition of the car from when you received it and turned it in?

You definitely need a lawyer.  Start with a good Consumer Attorney most will do a first consult at no charge. If they cannot help you ask what kind of attorney can and if they have a recommendation.  This is way more than a credit issue.

A cease and desist letter may be a big mistake.  

At that point you are refusing contact with them. All they can do is either walk away or sue.  They are likely to sue.  

If you have any hope of working with them to resolve the issue, that hope dies the minute you send a cease and desist letter.  

I have sent cease and desist letters in the past, but only when I knew I had nothing to fear from a lawsuit.  

We were victims of something similar. Got a call about about a bunch of damage, my wife said we didn't do it, and rental person actually said something like "OK, we'll call next person on the list," They had no idea who damaged vehicle, and were calling everyone who had rented it, hoping someone would just say "OK." Wonder if that's part of what caused class action. Your case is different, since it sounds like you did cop to some damage.

This is pretty much an open and shut case, if you have the paperwork identifying the damage when you rented the car. 

Rideshare in an unapproved rental is a huge no-no by rental companies, TNCs and insurance companies (Lyft, Uber, etc. won't even greenlight you in an unapproved rental), but if you haven't told them yet, they won't find out at this point if you don't say anything. 

On 8/19/2019 at 8:52 AM, Goody_Ouchless said:

Than
Thank you all that have responded to my posting.  Lyft and Hertz work together, if someone wants to work for Lyft and don't have a car...they hook us up with Hertz, which is in the same building as Lyft. So ride sharing was totally legit and no problem in regards.  Believe me, I have pics of prior damage (which was only to the front bumper) entire car was perfect when I returned it. They made me do a claim form which specifically shows only front end damage.  On the Appraisal that they sent me and newest pictures of the car...it is in a junk yard, doors are crooked, entire front end (except hood) is not there, what gets me also, it states on appraisal "luggage rack" , this car had no luggage rack,

of something similar. Got a call about about a bunch of damage, my wife said we didn't do it, and rental person actually said something like "OK, we'll call next person on the list," They had no idea who damaged vehicle, and were calling everyone who had rented it, hoping someone would just say "OK." Wonder if that's part of what caused class action. Your case is different, since it sounds like you did cop to some damage. $1000.00 is the deductible, but I'm sorry..but I refuse to pay for something that happened when not in my possession. 

On 8/18/2019 at 7:17 PM, Clydesmom said:

Pro bono work is typically reserved for criminal cases not civil.  I am not sure you can even get a lawyer to take this on contingency.  

You have a few problems.  First did you disclose to Hertz you were using their car as a Lyft driver?  If not any insurance you took from them may not cover the damages.  Next:  there are only 12 miles since the damage.  Where did that come from?  Next:  your own car insurance may not cover this since you were working for a ride share agency.  Did you disclose to them what you were doing?  Did you keep pictures of the condition of the car from when you received it and turned it in?

You definitely need a lawyer.  Start with a good Consumer Attorney most will do a first consult at no charge. If they cannot help you ask what kind of attorney can and if they have a recommendation.  This is way more than a credit issue.

15 hours ago, CANTTAKETHISSTRESS said:

I have pics of prior damage(which was only to the front bumper) entirecar was perfect when I returned it.

Did you repair the prior damage before you returned the car? How could it be perfect? 

Also....

On 8/18/2019 at 3:07 PM, CANTTAKETHISSTRESS said:

I advised the associate that a branch got stuck on the right side of the front bumper (which left a crack in the bumper)

You've acknowledged to Hertz that you damaged the car more than it was when you picked it up. That's a problem. And again, do you have the paperwork you got from Hertz when you returned the car?