WonderingInWI

How to attach files to PMs - HELP!

So I know I am going to be really embarrassed when this turns out to be obvious- but, I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to attach a simple PDF file to a PM. 

There is no paper clip thingee and the file won't just drop in. 

What am I missing?

7 minutes ago, willingtocope said:

"Compose New" then the button that says "source" gives you the paper clip.

Thanks for the quick reply @willingtocope -- but that didn't solve it. 🤔

The "paper clip" that I get is (like the one above) for a "link" -- URL or link text.  Not for an attachment.

I've already included the file inside my profile.  And, like I mentioned, I've done it before.  Not sure why the option is not showing up now.

Hope as an admin you can help.  Thanks so much!!

You can't attach to PMs. You can upload to a doc hosting service, like dropbox, or link to the doc in your Google drive. Sharing has to be enabled on the individual doc in the latter for the recipient to be able to view it. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Harry Seaward said:

You can't attach to PMs. You can upload to a doc hosting service, like dropbox, or link to the doc in your Google drive. Sharing has to be enabled on the individual doc in the latter for the recipient to be able to view it. 

@Harry Seaward Did they disable this recently?  I've been having a PM conversation with @sadinca for months and we've attached documents back and forth.  Now suddenly I can't do it?

Weird.

I've never been able to attach to PMs since the message board software was "upgraded" nearly three years ago. How were you doing it before? What's changed in the interface? 

4 minutes ago, Harry Seaward said:

I've never been able to attach to PMs since the message board software was "upgraded" nearly three years ago. How were you doing it before? What's changed in the interface? 

@Harry Seaward -- I just looked at our PM thread and the last time I attached something was June 7.  @sadinca attached docs for me in May.  Weird.

I'll be honest ... I'm trying to remember, but I just kinda "did it."  

I remember having to upload the file onto my "profile" first.  Then the file became available to attach to a PM message from my profile.  There was some type of option ... I don't see that option any more though.

@willingtocope or any other admins ... thoughts?

1 hour ago, LoveIsPower said:

I remember having to upload the file onto my "profile" first.  Then the file became available to attach to a PM message from my profile.  There was some type of option ... I don't see that option any more though.

Yeah, i used to do this trick with the old Message Board software. You could attach it to a message in a public thread, and then it would show up under your attachments where you could copy the link and paste it into a private message.  I believe what happens now is the URL for the attachment in your profile is linked to your login so when you share it, everybody else gets a permissions error when they try to open the link.