Sign in to follow this  
K9Guy

Portfolio Recovery lawsuit sworn account

So my first court date was 27 August. I was definitely out of my depths. I walk into the court a guy calls me over. This is a small town court so I proceed to talk with him. He finds me on a doc sheet ask me my phone number and address. Now mind you I don't know who this guy is. So not trying to make any waves in this small town court I answer him. Finally my brain kicks in and I ask who he is. He's the damn opposing counsel. I then state that I shouldn't be talking to him and sit down. Final my name is called and then opposing counsel ask the judge to reschedule the court date to Dec 10. 

Now as I said I'm out of my depths. Sorry for the long story. 

Original summons included one credit card statement, the summons, Sworn affidavit, military status affidavit. The venue is Carroll county, TN. The amount is old credit card debt from Capital One in the amount of 4,150.87

Javitch Block then sent a gesture of good faith letter asking me to settle. Two bill of sale my name nor any information about my account are on it. Looks like a generic copy, another sworn affidavit, and a mountain of statements. I'm guessing this is a scare tactic to get me to settle. I've done two tours in Iraq. It's not going to work. 

Just wondering what advice I can get on how to deal with this.

1 hour ago, K9Guy said:

Capital One

Then your options are defend the suit, settle, or bankruptcy.   Cap1 removed arbitration as an option almost a decade ago.  Tennessee is VERY creditor friendly and has a 20 year SOL on judgments along with post judgment interest.  If you lose the suit you can always settle for a lump sum amount afterwards to get rid of the judgment.

Ok thanks for the advice. Sucks that I can't afford the lump sum. Been out of work since July 13 on a injury. Probably won't be back till mid February at the earliest. Thanks again for the advice. Guess I shouldn't have moved as that would be why they finally came after me.