navy joy

Trial Binder set-up recommendations

Hello,

I'm curious if anyone has recommendations for the best order to set up the trial binder? Chronologically? By document? Are there specific documents that should be up top, at the ready, instead of just a chronological order? 

I'm preparing all of my documents now and can't find specifics on how best to set up. 

Thanks in advance!

I would do a Google Search on Trial Notebook which might give you more an idea on how real attorneys do this as that is what the court calls it.

Basically, you want it in order as to how the case will unfold (or how you think it will unfold). Motions in Limine, Opening Statement, Plaintiff Discovery that you sent to them, Plaintiff Witnesses, Plaintiff Documents, Your Discovery that plaintiff sent to you, Your Witnesses, Your Documents, Closing Statement.

You will want to page everything and have a cross reference between the sections so that you can get to the information quickly.

I also suggest going old school and use a 3 ring binder with paper rather than a computer.