Sign in to follow this  
Littledebtorboi

Must the creditor supply an itemized invoice (bill)?

I owe around 3,500 USD to a creditor for rent and tenant-related charges, some of which are suspected by me as being fabrications, mostly during a time I was incarcerated (being arrested days before move out date.) 

After asking the creditor to mail an itemized bill, I am told that they already did (while I was incarcerated or in rehabilitation, never received) and they do not feel obligated (whether legal or otherwise) to send another. But I have some charges to dispute. It’s just a confusing mess and I want to know if they are typically required to send the original lease agreement and an itemized bill for the damages. Thanks. 

Refuse to pay and force them to take your to court where they will have to show a list of itemized charges for you to dispute.

That you didn't receive it is irrelevant to the fact that they sent it.  Otherwise creditors could never sue debtors as long as debtors claim they never received an invoice.

Having said that, and having had dealings with apartment management, I tend to agree with you that they probably significantly inflated their actual costs.  The problem you're going to have is that if they show up with an itemized list of things that they claim needed repair, you will have to present something to disprove those costs.  Pictures when you moved out would be great, but it sounds like the move-out was probably not on a voluntary basis.  You may have to end up eating this one and file it under the 'make amends' category.

Some of their claims make no sense. They claim to have hauled off my property, but my property was never completely hauled off. A lot of my property is missing, but if anything was hauled it amounted to very little. The charge for it is egregious. My house was emptied by family. There are other things here but I have no records. 

17 hours ago, Harry Seaward said:

That you didn't receive it is irrelevant to the fact that they sent it.  Otherwise creditors could never sue debtors as long as debtors claim they never received an invoice.

Having said that, and having had dealings with apartment management, I tend to agree with you that they probably significantly inflated their actual costs.  The problem you're going to have is that if they show up with an itemized list of things that they claim needed repair, you will have to present something to disprove those costs.  Pictures when you moved out would be great, but it sounds like the move-out was probably not on a voluntary basis.  You may have to end up eating this one and file it under the 'make amends' category

19 hours ago, WhoCares1000 said:

Refuse to pay and force them to take your to court where they will have to show a list of itemized charges for you to dispute.

You would think they would settle for a deal considering there is, in my mind, $2,000 going missing somewhere in all of this. And that’s if they’re not frugal property managers (which they always seemed to be!) In any case we shouldn’t have to go to court.

Here is your problem, when your family moved your stuff out, they should have taken pictures/video. That way you would have had some evidence.

In order to get a settlement, you are going to have to prove to them that going to court would not yield an amount larger than you are offering. They have to understand that you will fight them all of the way. A letter telling them that you refuse to pay any amount without an itemized list will start that process. They will then either have to send you the list or go to court where they will be required to provide that list upon request anyways.

Don't be surprised if the landlord fabricates a list of complete BS, and the court awards him judgment based on that list. 

Since your family was involved, you could bring then to court as witnesses to dispute the condition reported by the landlord. It's a gamble, since the court could find that because that are related to you, they have motive to lie for you.