NetworkEngineer

California sued by Calvary. Court vs. arbitration ?

A Quick update: I finally got a response from the Arbitration folks. They sent a letter (and CC'd me) to the law firm representing the junk debt buyer informing them that a consumer arbitration has been filed and the consumer fees of $200 were paid.  They are asking the JDB to pay $2,800 for the case to move forward ! They only have a couple of weeks to do this. 

I'll post an update when I know more.

• Like 2
On 2/5/2020 at 12:54 AM, NetworkEngineer said:

A Quick update: I finally got a response from the Arbitration folks. They sent a letter (and CC'd me) to the law firm representing the junk debt buyer informing them that a consumer arbitration has been filed and the consumer fees of $200 were paid.  They are asking the JDB to pay $2,800 for the case to move forward ! They only have a couple of weeks to do this. 

I'll post an update when I know more.

This is a good time to send the attorney a settlement offer of mutual dismissal with prejudice. (you drop your arbitration case and they drop the court case with prejudice).  I would state that my offer expires on the same date that AAA said their payment is due.  This gives them a better 'out' than to pay the bill they are now facing to continue.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, fisthardcheese said:

This is a good time to send the attorney a settlement offer of mutual dismissal with prejudice. (you drop your arbitration case and they drop the court case with prejudice).  I would state that my offer expires on the same date that AAA said their payment is due.  This gives them a better 'out' than to pay the bill they are now facing to continue.

Thanks for the advice. I have it written and will be mailing tomorrow.

15 hours ago, NetworkEngineer said:

Thanks for the advice. I have it written and will be mailing tomorrow.

I would send it by email.  It's the standard and much easier to have a record of what was said in negotiation.

A quick update: 

Following Firsthardcheese's advice, I sent the mutual dismissal letter and I was contacted by the JDB's lawyer. We agreed to a mutual dismissal with prejudice and a removal of the trade line from my  credit report ! I checked the court website and saw their dismissal was filed on Feb 27th.  I agreed to dismiss my arbitration (which I advised AAA to do). 

So Wow - this is a big relief. I could not have done this without the help of this forum - Thanks everyone ! 

I'll still be checking in if anyone has any questions or if I can offer any advice. I posted a copy of all of my redacted docs earlier in this thread. 

• Like 5
16 hours ago, NetworkEngineer said:

A quick update: 

Following Firsthardcheese's advice, I sent the mutual dismissal letter and I was contacted by the JDB's lawyer. We agreed to a mutual dismissal with prejudice and a removal of the trade line from my  credit report ! I checked the court website and saw their dismissal was filed on Feb 27th.  I agreed to dismiss my arbitration (which I advised AAA to do). 

So Wow - this is a big relief. I could not have done this without the help of this forum - Thanks everyone ! 

I'll still be checking in if anyone has any questions or if I can offer any advice. I posted a copy of all of my redacted docs earlier in this thread. 

Congratulations!  👏👍

Thank you for the update on your success!  Yes, please keep checking in to offer advice and encouragement.  It would be greatly appreciated.  🙂

:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

Great outcome! Thank you for posting links to your documents. This will certainly help others from California. 

Following Firsthardcheese's advice,

@fisthardcheesexkingx

• Like 1
On 2/29/2020 at 9:05 PM, NetworkEngineer said:

A quick update: 

Congrats!!! Another textbook Arbitration win!!!

On 2/29/2020 at 6:05 PM, NetworkEngineer said:

A quick update: 

Hey @NetworkEngineer!  I know this happened some months back, and with this COVID thing I'm now catching up on some emails — I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS!!  Glad the arbitration route is working in Cali!! 🥳