Sign in to follow this  
joe62

Letter from Hyatt Collection attorney

I received the other day a letter from Hyatt Hyatt and Landau on behalf of Portfolio Recovery in regards to an CitiBank account I had stopped paying 16 months ago.

I received letters from PRA in the past and just laid low not wanting to draw attention to my self as I do not have the means to pay this debt.

The letter from the attorneys representing them is stating that if I do not dispute the validity of the debt or any portion thereof within 30 days after receipt of this letter the will assume it is valid.

My question is this, since I never asked for validation from PRA when they sent my there initial letter in the past do I really have an opportunity to dispute and ask for validation again?

Or is it useless and I'll just draw attention from the attorney so they can locate me and file suit faster?

8 minutes ago, joe62 said:

do I really have an opportunity to dispute and ask for validation again?

Typically, yes, because the attorney is a new debt collector entity. 

8 minutes ago, joe62 said:

Or is it useless

Also, yes. Unless you have some legitimate reason to believe this really isn't your debt, or the amount is wrong and you have proof of such, disputing is by and large a waste of time these days. You might get lucky and catch them in an FDCPA violation (i.e. continuing collection activity before validation) but a.) it's rare that they violate anymore, and b.) even if they do violate, they'll just knock $1,000 off the balance you owe when it comes time to negotiate a settlement. 

Thanks Harry for the reply. I need to buy sometime to see how I plan to proceed so I am leaving towards asking for validation. Do you suggest trying to settle myself or hire an attorney to do so on my behalf? I have read instances where the JDB settles for less the amount but winds up selling the remaining amount to another JBD. Thank you.

22 hours ago, joe62 said:

I have read instances where the JDB settles for less the amount but winds up selling the remaining amount to another JBD.

If this ever happened, it was in the 'dark ages' of debt collection. Things are far too conspicuous these days for a JDB to bother with these kinds of shenanigans. 

22 hours ago, joe62 said:

Do you suggest trying to settle myself or hire an attorney to do so on my behalf?

Unless this is a $50,000 debt, do it yourself. An attorney likely won't get any better deal than you can do for yourself, and whatever additional amount he could get would be offset by his fees. 

23 hours ago, joe62 said:

I have read instances where the JDB settles for less the amount but winds up selling the remaining amount to another JBD.

If that happened, perhaps the consumer(s) didn’t get the settlement terms in writing.  The terms should state that upon payment of $XXX amount, the account is considered settled and paid in full.  Save the settlement agreement, and if the JDB screws up and sells the account, you would have proof that nothing more is owed.