Sign in to follow this  
Casper

What exactly is alias summons? [TN]

I've been sued by three different JDB's, but moved so they couldn't serve me.  One JDB filed for 'alias service' and I'm wondering what that could be.  This is in TN.

I'm assuming they can publish the summons in a newspaper, or mail it, or try to serve my work if they can figure out where that is, or just leave the summons taped to the door?  If they can mail it, does it have to be certified RRR?

Alias service just means they were unable to serve you using a process server.  Most Court Rules of Procedure allow for a variety of alternative methods of service, including the ones you names.  Most of the time they just get permission from the court to send a letter to the last known address, and are not usually required to use certified/registered mail to do so.  Once they notify the court that the letter has been sent, the court will consider you served.

Your best bet is to call the lawfirm representing whoever is suing you and give them your correct address.  The alternative is they will get a default judgment and you'll have to fight to get that set aside, at which point they will just serve you at your correct address and you'll still have to defend the lawsuit.

That's what I though but thanks for the verification.  I keep track of the lawsuits on their website.  If they consider me served I will answer.