Sign in to follow this  
Laurie Schleis

JUGMENT SMALL CLAIM COURT

I just found out I had a judgment placed on me from 2010. It was an employee that worked for my company that was incorporated and is no longer in business. I an refinancing my property with cash out and the title company said I need to get a release. I was able to contact the plaintiff so I could pay him the amount the judgment was for. The judgment was for $630.00 plus 5% interest. That came to around $1000.00 that I agreed to pay the plaintiff. The plaintiff said he would not sign a release unless I paid him $4800.00. Does the plaintiff have that right to get more than the judgment is for. 

8 hours ago, Laurie Schleis said:

The plaintiff said he would not sign a release unless I paid him $4800.00. Does the plaintiff have that right to get more than the judgment is for. 

NO. Speak to an attorney.  It may be possible to place the total amount in escrow with the court and then file your own release with the court or a motion to compel him to sign.  Another option is to inform this jerk that he takes the legally required amount and signs or you turn him over to the DA for extortion.