ColinJ

Clicked phishing email

Received a phishing email yesterday which I fell for initially. It was posing as Amazon verifying a purchase. I clicked to cancel purchase, taken to phony login where I entered my email and  old Amazon password which I now know is not the right one anymore, and then was sent to a form where I entered personal data including name, address, DOB, SS#, phone and email. Then clicked next and was taken to credit card info page when I realized it was a scam and got out. I am assuming they got that personal info and I have subsequently  put or initiated freezes and fraud alert on Big 3 as well as contacting SSA, FTC and Amazon. I will be keeping daily track of bank accounts and be watchful for all possible scam emails, phone calls, snail mail, as well as changing my passwords where needed.  Also investigating all aspects of the problem in many ways. My question: Is it likely that they mined my data from that login and 1st page even though I did not continue on subsequent pages/forms and I did not end submit? Thank you.

1 hour ago, ColinJ said:

Is it likely that they mined my data from that login and 1st page even though I did not continue on subsequent pages/forms and I did not end submit?

100%. Any form action button can be used to capture data. In addition,  java can capture keystrokes as they are used to enter data into form fields. You've no doubt come across this function when legit coders have used it to detect an Enter key press.

2 hours ago, Harry Seaward said:

100%. Any form action button can be used to capture data. In addition,  java can capture keystrokes as they are used to enter data into form fields. You've no doubt come across this function when legit coders have used it to detect an Enter key press.

Thank you very much. Would it be useful to also get freezes from other credit companies such as Chex Systems, Sage Stream, Data X or Clarity Services? Would doing anything else you can suggest other than what I have mentioned above be helpful?

Change the password for any site that uses the same email address for the login. Also check, at regular intervals, those same websites to be sure your email login hasn't been changed to a different email address. I got hacked and my Amazon and Netflix logins were changed to email addresses i never owned. One of them was a .ru domain, so it was pretty obvious who was behind the hacking. I also started getting extortion emails saying that if i didn't send $900 in bitcoin, that this person would send to all of my Facebook contacts video of me 'enjoying' adult websites that had supposedly been hacked from my computer webcam. I don't visit adult websites, and don't have a webcam connected to my computer, but i could definitely see this kind of scam working on the right people. So watch out for those kinds of things. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/8/2020 at 7:55 PM, Harry Seaward said:

Change the password for any site that uses the same email address for the login. Also check, at regular intervals, those same websites to be sure your email login hasn't been changed to a different email address. I got hacked and my Amazon and Netflix logins were changed to email addresses i never owned. One of them was a .ru domain, so it was pretty obvious who was behind the hacking. I also started getting extortion emails saying that if i didn't send $900 in bitcoin, that this person would send to all of my Facebook contacts video of me 'enjoying' adult websites that had supposedly been hacked from my computer webcam. I don't visit adult websites, and don't have a webcam connected to my computer, but i could definitely see this kind of scam working on the right people. So watch out for those kinds of things. 

Thanks again. What about their ability to hack into my computer from this incident, get into my HD, see sites I have visited, record my keystrokes, obtain passwords etc? I have windows firewall and bitdefender. Are these adequate?

It's not likely, but also not impossible. If you do a system restore to a point before this incident happened, you should be good. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2020 at 10:00 AM, Harry Seaward said:

It's not likely, but also not impossible. If you do a system restore to a point before this incident happened, you should be good. 

What about other computers on our home dsl (we dont use wifi) network? Also I am planning on mothballing this one and buying a new laptop. Would I have to take any extra precautions with that?