Merry

Debt Validation Letter Received (A Medical Debt)

Recommended Posts

"'Thank you for your recent correspondence wherein you disputed the debt(s) our company was attempting to collect on behalf of the clients identified below.  We have since communicated with the clients identified below and they have confirmed to our company that the balance our company is attempting to collect from you is the balance owed.

This communication is from a debt collector.  This is an attempt to collect a debt. Any information obtained will be used for that purpose.'"

Next step?  

Thank you very very much for suggestions, much appreciated. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

They've validated the debt. Next step is wait to get sued. If you signed a consent for medical treatment related to this debt, there's a decent chance that agreement has an arbitration provision. That's the route I'd take if you get sued. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Harry Seaward said:

If you signed a consent for medical treatment related to this debt, there's a decent chance that agreement has an arbitration provision.

Chance of an arbitration provision in a financial agreement for healthcare is slim to none.  I have been doing this almost 40 years and have yet to see one used by a provider.  The cost to the provider is way too high considering most are small LLCs. Even large clinics or hospitals don't do them.  If they defaulted on a CareCredit account that would have it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Clydesmom said:

I have been doing this almost 40 years and have yet to see one used by a provider.

The last few times I've been to a new provider, they have all had arbitration provisions.  They may have always been there, but I didn't start looking for them until the last few years.

Must be an AZ thing.  It's been going on here since at least 1992.

"Melinda Kay Broemmer (plaintiff) asks this court to review a court of appeals opinion that held that an "Agreement to Arbitrate" which she signed prior to undergoing a clinical abortion is an enforceable, albeit an adhesive, contract."
https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=12537316836479059971

Here's another from 2007:
https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=5485495856055899638

 

Edit: Turns out it's not an AZ thing at all.  They're all over the place.
https://www.google.com/search?q=medical+arbitration+agreement

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Harry Seaward said:

The last few times I've been to a new provider, they have all had arbitration provisions.  They may have always been there, but I didn't start looking for them until the last few years.

Must be an AZ thing.  It's been going on here since at least 1992.

"Melinda Kay Broemmer (plaintiff) asks this court to review a court of appeals opinion that held that an "Agreement to Arbitrate" which she signed prior to undergoing a clinical abortion is an enforceable, albeit an adhesive, contract."
https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=12537316836479059971

Here's another from 2007:
https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=5485495856055899638

 

Edit: Turns out it's not an AZ thing at all.  They're all over the place.
https://www.google.com/search?q=medical+arbitration+agreement

I still think it is regional.  We have not seen them at all here in Nevada.  I never saw one in GA, SC, or VA either.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did not see one from Mayo Clinic for my care. Then again, the MN Attorney General has consent decrees with ALL hospitals and major medical providers in the state for debt collection so it may be with private practices only. Also, with the pocket docket rules, it is easier for keep their misdeeds from becoming public record by convincing injury attorneys to use that process.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The original debt was for $2000 for anesthesia. I'd paid more than half but fell behind in all my bills. I honestly forgot about this one until I received the letter.  When I logged on to see if my old account was still there, it said balance 0

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.