Sign in to follow this  
Casper

Judgement before hearing

Help me understand what is going on here.  They had a continuance until March 27th, but a judgement was entered on March 4th.

Mar 04 2020 - 1:25 PM   Case Status Change: Disposed
Mar 04 2020 - 1:24 PM   Judgment Entered: For Plaintiff DISCOVER BANK for $5,428.13 against Defendant xxxxxx
xxxxx $5,177.63 Judgment, $0.00 Interest, $250.50 Prepaid Costs, and $0.00 Unpaid
Court Costs judgment Amount of $5,428.13 plus post judgment interest at 6.75% rate
Jan 24 2020 - 12:19 PM   DISCOVER BANK - Civil Hearing held 1/24/2020 9:00 AM - Continuance Hearing continued to 3/27/2020 9:00 AM.
Jan 24 2020 - 12:19 PM   xxxxxxx - Civil Hearing held 1/24/2020 9:00 AM - Continuance Hearing continued to 3/27/2020 9:00 AM.
Dec 26 2019 - 12:06 PM   ANSWER FILED BY ATTY  xxxxx FOR DEF.
Dec 26 2019 - 11:53 AM   Hearing Entered: Civil Hearing scheduled for DISCOVER BANK, xxxxx on
1/24/2020 9:00 AM; Judge Toby Gilley
Dec 20 2019 - 11:52 AM   Served per Whit Davis
Dec 16 2019 - 3:01 PM   Civil Warrant Issued on xxxxxs 12/16/2019
Dec 16 2019 - 3:01 PM   Filing Entered: Civil Warrant - 1 deft - Filed For DISCOVER BANK - Filed Against xxxxxxx
Dec 16 2019 - 2:59 PM   Civil Case Created

Sorry to be unclear.  this isn't my case, but Discover is after me, so that's what i was wondering.

you think the bad guy attorneys filed for a MSJ in the mean time?  makes sense if the defendant didn't do much.

47 minutes ago, Casper said:

you think the bad guy attorneys filed for a MSJ in the mean time? 

If a MSJ was filed it would be on that docket and you would have had to been served with it.  

What was the hearing in January about?  Was the case actually tried?  Why was a continuance issued until March 27th?

My best guess is that the case was tried in January and the Judge intended to issue a verdict at the late March hearing but after reviewing the evidence decided the hearing was not necessary and entered a verdict.  

Edited to add:  Just re-read your answer that this is not even your case.  Please do not ask us to play guessing games based on cases we have no information about.  

I don't know anything about the case, either, which is why I asked if you guys could guess how they got the judgement before the re-scheduled hearing.

Motion for Summary Judgment.  The timing fits.  Just because it's not shown on the docket doesn't mean that's not what happened.

OK, thanks.  That makes sense, especially if the defendant didn't try to defend themselves or at least fill out the Sworn Denial form.