talha

After 2 years into collection, can I approach the OC and request to qualify me under charity care

Hi,

I have a pending medical collections account that I want to settle. The actual visit to the hospital emergency was in late 2017 and the collections account showed up in my credit report around late 2018. 

In 2017, I should have qualified for Charity care as my salary was less than 4 x average state pay. Can I still approach the hospital and request to qualify me under charity care?   Doing so, they may have to re-bill and call the collections back. 

Please share your expert's advise.

Thanks        

2 hours ago, talha said:

I should have qualified for Charity care as my salary was less than 4 x average state pay. 

There are multiple factors that qualify someone for Charity Care and salary is only one.  Qualifying is NOT automatic.  You must ask the facility and follow the entire process to be approved.

2 hours ago, talha said:

Can I still approach the hospital and request to qualify me under charity care?

You can always ask but the odds are not good for three reasons.  First:  if the care happened two years ago then any charity care that you would be eligible for would be out of the 2017 budget when the care was rendered and most public facilities close that budget out 6 months after the close of the fiscal year. In general they do not apply it retro-actively after so much time has passed.  Second:  they may have already reduced the amount owed based on a charitable reduction. If that is the case they are not going to give another one now that the account is in collections and there has been no effort in 3 years to settle the bill.  Last:  if this is not a public not for profit hospital they are not required to offer Charity Care at all.  While most do it is not 100% a rule that every facility does.  It also depends on what the bill is for.  If this is for the physicians services and they are a private group they may not offer it either.

All you can do is ask.  The worst that will happen is they say no.