Vaness@

Absolute Resolutions Investment Lawsuit filed against me

Just now, Anthony Russo said:
yes, it is standard....you can not do this by your self... 

****, I was not thinking I NEED one... So should I NOT file an answer/ MTC?

14 minutes ago, Vaness@ said:

@fisthardcheese what are your thoughts?  do I NEED an attorney???

The vast majority of successful defendants on this site did not employ attorneys.  Most of those who come to this site cannot afford an attorney.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Anthony Russo said:

Have you requested to verify the debt ? 

Do you mean she should request validation?  Based upon what law should she do so?

• Like 2

Ok this is what I have for the answer/MTC - @fisthardcheese #5 - 5 (e) those are the actual quotes from the credit agreement.  # 6 and 7 I got from another MTC I have read.  I still dont have a MTC case in Fl. to cite, if I do find one that is relevant, I can add it.    So I will print this, along with the Exhibit A, the certificate of service, and proposed order.  Anything else?

Thank you ALL for VALUABLE and PRICELESS help!

COUNTY COURT IN AND FOR OSCEOLA COUNTY, FLORIDA

CASE NO. 20________________

ABSOLUTE RESOLUTIONS INVESTMENTS, LLC

Plaintiff,

vs.

Defendant.

VANESSA SILVA

DEFENDANT’S ANSWER TO PLAINTIFF’S COMPLAINT AND MOTION TO COMPEL PRIVATE/ CONTRACTUAL ARBITRATION AND TO STAY PROCEEDINGS PENDING ARBITRATION
NOW COMES Defendant, appearing Pro Se for its Motion to Compel Private Contractual Arbitration and as grounds thereto states the following:

1. That on or about June 29, 2020, Plaintiff filed its Complaint against Defendant.

2. Defendant denies all allegations as set forth in Plaintiff's complaint.

3. Defendant sent a letter via certified mail to Plaintiff's attorney on August 5, 2020, electing arbitration with JAMS (see Exhibit A, attached).

4. Defendant moves this court to compel binding Private Arbitration based on the terms and conditions of the Credit Card Agreement (see Exhibit B, attached).

5. The parties are bound by the Credit Card Agreement. The Arbitration Agreement states among other things:

(a you and we agree that any party covered by this Clause may elect to arbitrate or require arbitration of any “Dispute”

(b) you or we may elect arbitration with respect to any Dispute brought by a new party or any Dispute later asserted by a party in that or any related or unrelated lawsuit. For example, if we file a lawsuit against you in court to recover amounts due under this Agreement, you have the right to request arbitration.

(d) If one party begins or threatens a lawsuit, or files a counterclaim in an existing lawsuit, the other party can demand arbitration. This demand can be made in court papers such as a motion to compel arbitration.  Once an arbitration demand is made, no lawsuit can be brought and any existing lawsuit must stop.

(e) THIS ARBITRATION PROVISION IS MADE PURSUANT TO A TRANSACTION INVOLVING INTERSTATE COMMERCE AND SHALL BE GOVERNED BY AND ENFORCEABLE UNDER THE FEDERAL ARBITRATION ACT.

6. The Federal Arbitration Act (FAA) 9 USC, Section 1-2 provides:

“A written provision in any maritime transaction or a contract evidencing a transaction involving commerce to settle by arbitration a controversy thereafter arising out of such contract or transaction or the refusal to perform the whole or any part thereof or an agreement in writing to submit to arbitration an existing controversy arising out of such contract, transaction, or refusal, shall be valid, irrevocable and enforceable save upon such grounds as exist at law or in equity for the revocation of any contract”.

7. The Supreme Court Ruling, decided April 27, 2011, AT&T MOBILITY LLC v. CONCEPCION ET U, states that courts must enforce arbitration agreements according to their terms. If there is an arbitration clause in the contract, that clause must be honored.

Furthermore, "The “principal purpose” of the FAA is to “ensur[e] that private arbitration agreements are enforced according to their terms.” Volt , 489 U. S., at 478; see also Stolt-Nielsen S. A. v. AnimalFeeds Int’l Corp. , 559 U. S. ___, ___ (2010) (slip op., at 17). This purpose is readily apparent from the FAA’s text. Section 2 makes arbitration agreements “valid, irrevocable, and enforceable” as written (subject, of course, to the saving clause); §3 requires courts to stay litigation of arbitral claims pending arbitration of those claims “in accordance with the terms of the agreement”; and §4 requires courts to compel arbitration “in accordance with the terms of the agreement” upon the motion of either party to the agreement . . . "

8. The Defendant elects arbitration to settle this dispute.

WHEREFORE, Defendant moves this Honorable Court to compel private contractual arbitration pursuant to the Cardmember Agreement and to stay proceedings pending contractual arbitration.

Respectfully submitted this day August ___, 2020

__________ Defendant, pro se

@Vaness@

The Supreme Court case law should be sufficient, but here’s some FL case law.

In Florida as well as under federal law, the use of arbitration agreements is generally favored by the courts. See Seifert v. U.S. Home Corp., 750 So.2d 633, 636 (Fla.1999). 

As a threshold procedural matter, the Federal Arbitration Act (FAA)[5] applies to agreements evidencing a transaction involving interstate commerce. See Acton CATV, Inc. v. Wildwood Partners, Ltd., 508 So. 2d 1274 (Fla. 5th DCA 1987)Williams v. Hardy, 468 So. 2d 429 (Fla. 5th DCA 1985)Donmoor, Inc. v. Sturtevant, 449 So. 2d 869, 870 (Fla. 5th DCA 1984). A contract between a Florida resident and a foreign corporation is an agreement evidencing a transaction involving interstate commerce. See Gilman & Ciocig, Inc. v. Wetherald, 855 So. 2d 900,904-905, (Fla. 4th DCA 2004).

"Congress declared a national policy favoring arbitration and withdrew the power of the states to require a judicial forum for the resolution of claims which the contracting parties agreed to resolve by arbitration." Shotts v. OP Winter Haven, Inc., 86 So. 3d 456, 462 (Fla. 2011) (quoting Southland Corp. v. Keating, 465 U.S. 1, 10, 104 S.Ct. 852, 79 L.Ed.2d 1 (1984)).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Vaness@ said:

Here is my Certificate of Service;  WHO IS THE PETITIONER ON THIS FORM? ME? thats the only part I couldn't figure out...

IN THE CIRCUIT COURT OF THE NINTH JUDICIAL CIRCUIT, IN AND FOR OSCEOLA COUNTY, FLORIDA

,                               Case No.: 202__________       

Petitioner,

and                                                                                                

Respondent.

CERTIFICATE OF SERVICE 

I, __________, certify that a copy of Defendant’s Answer To Plaintiff’s Complaint and Motion to Compel Private/Contractual Arbitration and To Stay Proceedings Pending Arbitration

was (x) mailed via certified mail to the person listed below on  August 6, 2020.

Other party or his/her attorney:

Name:       

Address:  

Phone Number: 

Signature of Party

Printed Name:                                                      

Address:                                                              

City, State, Zip:                                                      

Telephone Number:                                                      

Use the same case header that you see on their complaint.  It should state their name first with PLAINTIFF under and then your name with DEFENDANT under it and then the case number.  That is what should be on EVERYTHING you file.  The exact same way.  Put it on your motion, your certificate of service and your Proposed Order.

18 hours ago, Anthony Russo said:

yes, it is standard....you can not do this by your self... 

Ignore this person who doesn't seem to know what they are talking about.

15 hours ago, Vaness@ said:

COUNTY COURT IN AND FOR OSCEOLA COUNTY, FLORIDA

CASE NO. 20________________

ABSOLUTE RESOLUTIONS INVESTMENTS, LLC

Plaintiff,

vs.

Defendant.

VANESSA SILVA

Defendant

DEFENDANT’S ANSWER TO PLAINTIFF’S COMPLAINT AND MOTION TO COMPEL PRIVATE/ CONTRACTUAL ARBITRATION AND TO STAY PROCEEDINGS PENDING ARBITRATION
NOW COMES Defendant, appearing Pro Se for its Motion to Compel Private Contractual Arbitration and as grounds thereto states the following:

1. That on or about June 29, 2020, Plaintiff filed its Complaint against Defendant.

2. Defendant denies all allegations as set forth in Plaintiff's complaint.

3. Defendant sent a letter via certified mail to Plaintiff's attorney on August 5, 2020, electing arbitration with JAMS (see Exhibit A, attached).  You are not sending a letter prior to filing this. Leave it off

3. Defendant moves this court to compel binding Private Arbitration based on the terms and conditions of the Credit Card Agreement (see Exhibit A, attached).

4. The parties are bound by the Credit Card Agreement. The Arbitration Agreement states among other things: 

(a) you and we agree that any party covered by this Clause may elect to arbitrate or require arbitration of any “Dispute”

(b) you or we may elect arbitration with respect to any Dispute brought by a new party or any Dispute later asserted by a party in that or any related or unrelated lawsuit. For example, if we file a lawsuit against you in court to recover amounts due under this Agreement, you have the right to request arbitration.

(d) If one party begins or threatens a lawsuit, or files a counterclaim in an existing lawsuit, the other party can demand arbitration. This demand can be made in court papers such as a motion to compel arbitration.  Once an arbitration demand is made, no lawsuit can be brought and any existing lawsuit must stop.

(e) THIS ARBITRATION PROVISION IS MADE PURSUANT TO A TRANSACTION INVOLVING INTERSTATE COMMERCE AND SHALL BE GOVERNED BY AND ENFORCEABLE UNDER THE FEDERAL ARBITRATION ACT.

5. In Florida as well as under federal law, the use of arbitration agreements is generally favored by the courts. See Seifert v. U.S. Home Corp., 750 So.2d 633, 636 (Fla.1999). 

As a threshold procedural matter, the Federal Arbitration Act (FAA)[5] applies to agreements evidencing a transaction involving interstate commerce. See Acton CATV, Inc. v. Wildwood Partners, Ltd., 508 So. 2d 1274 (Fla. 5th DCA 1987)Williams v. Hardy, 468 So. 2d 429 (Fla. 5th DCA 1985)Donmoor, Inc. v. Sturtevant, 449 So. 2d 869, 870 (Fla. 5th DCA 1984). A contract between a Florida resident and a foreign corporation is an agreement evidencing a transaction involving interstate commerce. See Gilman & Ciocig, Inc. v. Wetherald, 855 So. 2d 900,904-905, (Fla. 4th DCA 2004).

"Congress declared a national policy favoring arbitration and withdrew the power of the states to require a judicial forum for the resolution of claims which the contracting parties agreed to resolve by arbitration." Shotts v. OP Winter Haven, Inc., 86 So. 3d 456, 462 (Fla. 2011) (quoting Southland Corp. v. Keating, 465 U.S. 1, 10, 104 S.Ct. 852, 79 L.Ed.2d 1 (1984)).

6. The Federal Arbitration Act (FAA) 9 USC, Section 1-2 provides:

“A written provision in any maritime transaction or a contract evidencing a transaction involving commerce to settle by arbitration a controversy thereafter arising out of such contract or transaction or the refusal to perform the whole or any part thereof or an agreement in writing to submit to arbitration an existing controversy arising out of such contract, transaction, or refusal, shall be valid, irrevocable and enforceable save upon such grounds as exist at law or in equity for the revocation of any contract”.

7. The Supreme Court Ruling, decided April 27, 2011, AT&T MOBILITY LLC v. CONCEPCION ET U, states that courts must enforce arbitration agreements according to their terms. If there is an arbitration clause in the contract, that clause must be honored.

Furthermore, "The “principal purpose” of the FAA is to “ensur[e] that private arbitration agreements are enforced according to their terms.” Volt , 489 U. S., at 478; see also Stolt-Nielsen S. A. v. AnimalFeeds Int’l Corp. , 559 U. S. ___, ___ (2010) (slip op., at 17). This purpose is readily apparent from the FAA’s text. Section 2 makes arbitration agreements “valid, irrevocable, and enforceable” as written (subject, of course, to the saving clause); §3 requires courts to stay litigation of arbitral claims pending arbitration of those claims “in accordance with the terms of the agreement”; and §4 requires courts to compel arbitration “in accordance with the terms of the agreement” upon the motion of either party to the agreement . . . "

8. The Defendant elects arbitration to settle this dispute.

WHEREFORE, Defendant moves this Honorable Court to compel private contractual arbitration pursuant to the Cardmember Agreement and to stay proceedings pending contractual arbitration.

Respectfully submitted this day August ___, 2020

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vaness@ said:

@fisthardcheese THANK YOU! I have made all the changes and will print and take it to the court tomorrow.  Keep me in prayers!  thank you ALL sooo much! I would be so lost without your guidance!  I'll report back :)

Print 3 copes of everything.  Ask the clerk to stamp all 3 motions.  One set is for the clerk to keep and file, one set is to mail to the attorney and one set is for you to keep as a record of what and when you filed.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Vaness@ said:

Do any of these documents need to be notarized?

I didn't see you mention that you were filing an affidavit testifying to the true and correct copy of the card agreement that you are filing.  This would be the only document that would need to be notarized.  It is important to get the answer filed on time, so if there is no time to type up your affidavit and notarize it, then just skip it for now.  It is just an aide to help head off an argument the other side could make later saying that your Exhibit isn't the "correct" card agreement.  It can be dealt with at that time if you can't file the affidavit now.

• Like 1