Jump to content

MCM Pre-Legal Notification - Can I Send Verification Letter?

Help Me Im Poor

Recommended Posts


I received a pre-legal notification 4 days ago (1/20/21) and I’ve read conflicting info on if I can/should send a debt verification letter. What would my best option be? I’m unable to afford to pay, obtain an attorney, or a credit sweep service as I’m barely getting by as it is. 

Thank you for your help!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Who is the OC, when did you open the account and when did you make the last payment? If they can't legally collect because it's outside of the SOL, then you have already won and in more ways than one. 

If they can legally collect, then you will want to see if you can use arbitration in this case . I don't know enough about how that works to offer any direction but others here do. I think the advice you are given here will hinge on the details you provide which at this point, is simply not enough. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the debt is in your maiden name, then it is appropriate for them to send you letters with your maiden name. 

The debt is clearly within the SOL. 

A DV letter simply buys you some time. Maybe it buys you a few days, occasionally much more time. In the old days some creditors didn’t have the documents, so DVs would occasionally completely stop collection.  That is extremely rare these days.  

Use the time to educate yourself about arbitration.  I think Commetty has an arbitration agreement.  Look it up on the CFPB web site.  Find your specific agreement.  

In MOST (not all) situations you would wait until you are sued and then file a MTC.  

What state are you in and what is the approximate amount?  Please don’t give the exact number. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

You are not talking about a lot of money, although if you are flat broke $800 could be an enormous amount.  

Again, send the DV letter about 20 days after you got the notice.  

Did you check if Comety has an arbitration agreement?  I think they do, but I’m not sure.  If so, you can win with a $250 filing fee.  

So take your time to scrape up $250, if possible. Make a settlement offer of $250.  If they take it, it’s over.  If not, go the arbitration route.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.