TryingToFixMyCredit

Trying to Understand a Judgement — Oregon Civil Court for Debt

I was sued by a debt collector in 2017 and never received a copy of the judgement (I didn’t show up for court because I was freaked out and young), so I dug up what is available on the Multnomah County site. What I see there is 2 notes about the judgement and I don’t understand what they mean nor did a lot of Google particularly clarify.

Under “Digitized Judgement Document” is a comment section with “R7 dismiss” and under Judgement Type at the top it says “Judgement - General Dismissal”. My instinct is to be relieved because it doesn’t sound like a ruling against me, but I know the attorneys continued trying to collect for several years after this, so I assume it went in their favor and maybe the language is confusing here?

With Covid and no longer living on the Oregon side of things it would be difficult to try to get to a court house for copies of the original judgement papers at the moment as well.

7 minutes ago, TryingToFixMyCredit said:

I was sued by a debt collector in 2017 and never received a copy of the judgement (I didn’t show up for court because I was freaked out and young), so I dug up what is available on the Multnomah County site. What I see there is 2 notes about the judgement and I don’t understand what they mean nor did a lot of Google particularly clarify.

Under “Digitized Judgement Document” is a comment section with “R7 dismiss” and under Judgement Type at the top it says “Judgement - General Dismissal”. My instinct is to be relieved because it doesn’t sound like a ruling against me, but I know the attorneys continued trying to collect for several years after this, so I assume it went in their favor and maybe the language is confusing here?

With Covid and no longer living on the Oregon side of things it would be difficult to try to get to a court house for copies of the original judgement papers at the moment as well.

I would think “Judgment - General Dismissal” means the lawsuit was dismissed.  It’s possible the plaintiff voluntarily dismissed or didn’t bother to show up, and the court dismissed it.  However, I would contact the clerk of court and ask.

If you know someone in Oregon, they can either obtain or look at the case file for you as most case files are open to the public (the closed ones are usually about juvies, family issues or cases involving guardianship or commitment). There might be a cost but I am sure you and your friend can deal with that.

Just because a creditor tries to collect does not mean that they got a judgement. The question would be how they tried to collect. If they try to garnish wages or levy account, then they probably got a judgement. If they simply have tried to call you to get you to pay, then maybe not.