Phantomv48

Ambulance collector specifics

So, I have a company trying to collect a debt from an ambulance ride last year. This particular one was taking me from one hospital to another. I sent a letter requesting information (the CFPB sample letter specifically), and all they sent me back was a statement that looks like it was searched in some database (with an incomplete birthdate), and a letter that says "this validates, money now please".

I'm already going to hit them up (again) for proof that they even have anything to do with the debt. Given the nature of EMS, what should I be expecting to see? Obviously I wouldn't have signed any sort of contract with the ambulance company or anything. 

1 hour ago, Phantomv48 said:

I'm already going to hit them up (again) for proof that they even have anything to do with the debt.

They do not have to provide you with proof of anything unless they sue you in court.  

Given the nature of EMS, what should I be expecting to see?

The copy of the statement they already sent you complies with FDCPA and validation.  That is it.  All it is required to have is your name, the date of service, the name of the provider and amount owed.  

Obviously I wouldn't have signed any sort of contract with the ambulance company or anything. 

Your financial guarantee with the hospital you were transferred FROM is the contract.  You need a copy of that.  Did you submit the charge to your insurance carrier?  The transfer by qualified medical personnel is not covered by the city.  If your insurance doesn't cover it then you have to pay out of pocket but without insurance you can attempt to negotiate a discounted cash price.

• Thanks 1
On 5/9/2021 at 11:18 PM, Clydesmom said:

They do not have to provide you with proof of anything unless they sue you in court.  

The copy of the statement they already sent you complies with FDCPA and validation.  That is it.  All it is required to have is your name, the date of service, the name of the provider and amount owed.  

Your financial guarantee with the hospital you were transferred FROM is the contract.  You need a copy of that.  Did you submit the charge to your insurance carrier?  The transfer by qualified medical personnel is not covered by the city.  If your insurance doesn't cover it then you have to pay out of pocket but without insurance you can attempt to negotiate a discounted cash price.

Sometimes when insurance does not cover but you have insurance they have to bill you the contracted price what insurance would have paid  if insurance did cover it.