Audi Financial Auto Loan PRE-Qualification resulted in hard pull

Hi Team,

I was recently shopping for new (used) cars, and I landed on a local Audi dealer's finance page.  On the page where you can apply for credit, there is a paragraph that says :

Apply for credit now and save time at the dealership

Applying for credit is easy, and you can get started financing a purchase or lease right here. Use the form below to provide us with information we need to help find the payment and terms that work best for you.  As soon as we process your information, one of our experienced Financial Managers will call you to review your options.

If you are worried about credit, you may prefer to Prequalify for Financing before you apply for credit.  --> I click this link, which leads me to the pre-qualification page, which says:

Get pre-qualified now and save time at the dealership

Do you have credit concerns? We can help! Use the form below to provide us with information we need to determine if there are financing options that work for you. Don't worry if you don't get an instant response, a representative from Audi [Location] will be in touch with you shortly.

If you are less worried about credit, you can skip this step and go directly to a Finance Application.

I fill out the prequalification form, get an email saying 'we need more info from you,' but never follow up with the dealership because I make my purchase elsewhere the same day.

A few weeks later, I'm checking my reports, and find an unexpected hard pull from the audi dealer at which I only did the PRE-qualification.  The wording of their page was expressly set up to imply you are not actually applying for credit.  It says " If you are worried about credit, you may prefer to Prequalify for Financing before you apply for credit.  -"    , Therefore, if this prequalification is not itself an application for credit, why did they perform a hard pull?  I emailed the GM of the dealership explaining what had happened, asking them to remove the inquiry, but they are stonewalling. Any advice?  I feel duped.

Thanks!

p.s., I know the common wisdom is that hard pulls around the same date for auto loans get merged together for scoring purposes, but this just seems like something VERY shady they've done.