Mr. M

Charge off removed for 10k, then I received papers from court

A charge off was removed for 10k, then a week later I received papers from court. Smith Debnam represents Discover cad.

filed on 5/27/21 my credit was updated about 6/4/21. Can they still come at me?

29 minutes ago, Mr. M said:

A charge off was removed for 10k, then a week later I received papers from court. Smith Debnam represents Discover cad.

What was stated in the papers?

What was the date of your last payment?

1 hour ago, Mr. M said:

I don't know why but same happen to me trade line was removed from reports right before I was sued.  Received papers do you mean you have been served a Summons, Complaint, warrant in debt etcc.

Many creditors remove trade lines prior to starting a lawsuit because they are looking to avoid any counter claim. If you still owe the debt, the creditor can certainly sue you. Since you hired a credit cleaner, that is probably what happened.

Now, if you settled the debt and have that in writing (anything that is not in writing did not happen in the eyes of the court), then you have a defense. That does not sound like the case here.

7 hours ago, Mr. M said:

Last payment around 9/2019, hired a company to help clean credit around 5/25/2021 a agencies updated around 6/3 to 6/5/21

Yes, they can come after you.  Removing their entry from your credit report has no bearing on whether or not the debt is still within the statute of limitations for collection.  

13 hours ago, Mr. M said:

Can they still come at me?

Not only can they, Discover WILL sue you.  Discover is one of the top 3 most aggressive creditors in pursuing litigation to collect on bad debts and they don't sell their paper.  They will sue you themselves.  

Unfortunately hiring a "credit cleaner" when the SOL was very much still alive and the entire country is making big moves to return to business as usual was a bad move.  All you did was tell your creditors you either needed or wanted new credit and that there was likely a financial change in circumstances that you were able to pay.  The defenses you read about on sites like this one are based on being sued by a junk debt buyer (JDB) NOT the original creditor (OC) like Discover.  Filing for arbitration won't stop Discover.  They will follow all the way through to the end regardless of the costs.  

My recommendation is you post a list in this thread of all the creditors that were targeted on your reports and the approximate amount NOT exact that you owe them.  We can then give you a forecast on what is likely coming your way.  

15 hours ago, Mr. M said:

A complaint 

4 hours ago, Clydesmom said:

Not only can they, Discover WILL sue you.  Discover is one of the top 3 most aggressive creditors in pursuing litigation to collect on bad debts and they don't sell their paper.  They will sue you themselves.  

Unfortunately hiring a "credit cleaner" when the SOL was very much still alive and the entire country is making big moves to return to business as usual was a bad move.  All you did was tell your creditors you either needed or wanted new credit and that there was likely a financial change in circumstances that you were able to pay.  The defenses you read about on sites like this one are based on being sued by a junk debt buyer (JDB) NOT the original creditor (OC) like Discover.  Filing for arbitration won't stop Discover.  They will follow all the way through to the end regardless of the costs.  

My recommendation is you post a list in this thread of all the creditors that were targeted on your reports and the approximate amount NOT exact that you owe them.  We can then give you a forecast on what is likely coming your way.  

Looks like Mr. M has been served and is in a lawsuit already. What is a "credit cleaner"? 

2 hours ago, Bulldoger said:

What is a "credit cleaner"? 

A credit cleaner is a company who, for a fee, will clean up your credit report by constantly filing challenges to all trade lines until the creditors and the CRAs give up and remove them, even if the trade lines are valid. In this case, the attorneys for Discover simply removed the trade line to remove any possible TCRA violations and then sued the OP. That is a legal move.

Who cares 1000, I had old inquiries that were removed, Discover is the charge off, and 2 collections were removed ( approximate total on collections was 3K ). Been laid off since 12/19 living with my son & I have no assets or car.

46 minutes ago, Mr. M said:

Who cares 1000, I had old inquiries that were removed, Discover is the charge off, and 2 collections were removed ( approximate total on collections was 3K ). Been laid off since 12/19 living with my son & I have no assets or car.

Your Discover 10K charge off is now a Discover 10K lawsuit are you planning on just getting a default judgement.  You are obviously currently judgement proof but N.C. Judgments gain 8% interest and last 10 years and can be renewed for 10 more. Were your two collection past their SOL dates . 

8 hours ago, Mr. M said:

You could have removed the old stuff yourself while at the same time, keeping Discover on your report. Again, by hiring the cleaner, who went for all baddies, you made Discover think that something was going on and that they should jump in.

As for your financial situation, Discover will not care because they can make more money off the judgement than they can in Treasuries or bank accounts in interest AND judgements last for decades in most states (Minnesota is the only state I know of which makes it difficult and expensive to renew a judgement).

• Like 1