Being sued - Motion for default judgement. Can I pay and get judgement removed?

Hello,
I have a credit card that was sent to collections b/c I couldn't pay (lost my job but I'm back on my feet now) and now I'm being sued by Stillman Law Firm.
I naively did not understand what was happening and now there is a Motion for default judgement on the short calendar in civil court (location: CT) for tomorrow. No excuse...I'm willing to pay. I just would like to blow to be as gentle as possible.
It is my understanding that if they get a default judgement, this is on my credit report for 7 years and on public record too so I would like to stop it, if at all possible.
I found out about this on Thursday night. I called them on Friday. Stillman offered a lump sum payment for $6100 (20% off). They said the only way to stop the judgement from processing (or get them to remove the judgement b/c it's too late to stop it right now) is a lump sum payment. I agreed to a payment b/c I didn't think I could pull the money together in time. Got off the phone, spoke with husband and pulled everything we had in our fix The Roof fund. Called them back and they were closed.
I plan to call tomorrow and try and get this settled.
My question is: what is the best plan of attack?
I see that some companies will automatically do a "pay for a delete" and I know it can be difficult to get most of the time. Does it even make sense to ask for a "pay for delete" in this situation (lawsuit, pending default judgement, settled amount)?
I was reading the boards and it seems like most people are getting the P4D with collection agencies. I haven't seen anyone reference it for a lawsuit.

Thanks in advance. I can't believe this forum exists...I'm so grateful. Trying to download all the info into my brain as fast as possible.
I searched for something like this before posting but didn't find anything. 

You will not get a payment for delete at this point because the record will show that a case has been filed. However, if you have the funds to make the lump sum payment, you can offer it to the attorney on the court house steps before the motion is heard and that would be the end of that. Make sure to get the settlement in writing however. If it works, the attorney for the plaintiff would simply inform the judge that the case is settled and the motion would be removed from the docket as if the it never occurred.

Thanks, @WhoCares1000...this is helpful.

Right now, it's a Motion for Default Judgement (for short calendar this morning). Should I still go to the court house? I just learned about this Friday (a little bit head in the sand but mostly just trying to keep my life together with other stuff and I made the mistake of being passive and thinking they would get in touch with me about next steps/how to file, etc. 

Also, I have the option to make a payment before I get to the courthouse b/c I don't know if they are going to have an attorney there.  woud that be best? I can call the law office/debt collector (they seem to be one in the same) and request to pay. They said I could call at any time and pay the lump sum (on Friday he offered the 20% off). I was thinking that *maybe* this would work similarly as to what you suggested. That the they would just notify the judge the case is settled and the motion would be removed? 

9 hours ago, bigmistake22 said:

It is my understanding that if they get a default judgement, this is on my credit report for 7 years and on public record too so I would like to stop it, if at all possible.

If the plaintiff gets any judgment at all against you, it’s public record.  The only way it gets a default judgment is if you fail to answer the complaint in the time allotted by the court rules.   Were you properly served?

@BV80

Thanks for the reply. Yes, unfortunately, I was served - back in Aug 2020.  I'm hating on myself right now...I was so naive. I didn't understand - maybe b/c with all that was going on in my life at the time I didn't understand (or I was in denial). I entered an Appearance and sent it in. That is on record. What I didn't do was Answer the summons. It seems obvious now but, at the time, I thought that I would get something with "next steps" after I submitted my Appearance.  Big mistake. I looked at the case record online and it looks like the return date was August 2020 (I submitted an appearance in time). Then nothing was done until Oct 2021, where the filed a Motion to Default - failure to plead. That was granted (I wasn't aware this happened, it says I was going to be sent papers by the law office but I didn't get them...I have no proof of that though b/c they are not obligated to send certified mail).  I didn't hear anythign until this past week when I got a notice that there was a Motion for Default Judgement on the calendar and Stillman Law (agency/debt collector) were requesting payment plan. 

So, I called Stillman. They offered me a lump sum payment for 20% off or payment plan of $350 per month. It sounds like the rep at Stillman was blowing smoke up my *&#$ b/c he told me that it was too late to stop the law suit but if we did the lump sum payment they would be able to issue something to "rescind"the judgement. I think that was the word he used. With everything going on, I didn't catch that part, I was focused on the numbers...now I wish I asked him to repeat that part. 

Thanks for explaining the judgement. What a big lesson learned. Can I recover from this? I know that sounds dramatic. Just trying to understand how much this will affect credit, job opportunities, etc. 

Also trying to figure out if I pay lump sum ASAP and bring it to the court. 

Thanks in advance... 

1 hour ago, bigmistake22 said:

Thanks for explaining the judgement. What a big lesson learned. Can I recover from this? I know that sounds dramatic. Just trying to understand how much this will affect credit, job opportunities, etc. 

The credit reporting agencies had, at one time, announces they were no longer reporting judgments.  However, even if they don’t report them, judgments are still public record that can be located.  A paid judgment looks better to future creditors and employers than an unpaid judgment.

See if Stillman will agree to rescind the judgment and voluntarily dismiss the lawsuit once you pay.

Are you sure that Stillman is named on the complaint as the “Plaintiff”?   Usually law firms do not purchase debts.  They simply represent a plaintiff in court.  If you sued someone, you could hire an attorney to represent you.  You would be named as the plaintiff, but your attorney would do all the paperwork and speak for you in court.

Check the complaint again.  If Stillman is the plaintiff, it would show “Stillman Law Firm vs. You”.  

4 minutes ago, BV80 said:

Stillman is named on the complaint as the “Plaintiff”?   Usually law firms do not purchase debts.  They simply represent a plaintiff in court.  If you sued someone, you could hire an attorney to represent you.  You would be named as the plaintiff, but your attorney would do all the paperwork and speak for you in court.

Thank you for this. You are correct, they did not purchase the debt. I am just learning how to read all of this paperwork now. The purchaser is: Credit Corp Solutions Assignee of Synchrony Bank. Stillman is just the attourney. I was confused b/c when I call Stillman, they still try and set up a payment plan and get money from me, so it felt like they were the debt collectors. 

10 minutes ago, BV80 said:

The credit reporting agencies had, at one time, announces they were no longer reporting judgments.  However, even if they don’t report them, judgments are still public record that can be located.  A paid judgment looks better to future creditors and employers than an unpaid judgment.

See if Stillman will agree to rescind the judgment and voluntarily dismiss the lawsuit once you pay.

I will def call Stillman and ask for this agreement. 

Thank you for the explanation on judgements. I've been reading about them all weekend and I am still overwhelmed. Steep learning curve at first.

I appreciate your help and your non-judgemental (no pun intended) guidance.

1 hour ago, ReclaimMyTime said:

This is merely a Motion, not a judgement, so you can still defend yourself. Connecticut courts allow you to file a Motion to Set Aside Default:

I'm working m=y way through your list of recommendations - thank you for all of this!

I was going to submit Motion for Continuance, to give me more time to pull together information, since the date for the default judgement is today. Would that be a good first step. Then, do the motion to set aside default? 

Or is that redundant? I was going to do the continuance but got stuck on why I was asking for a continuance. SAying "i didn't know" isn't an appropriate response. 

33 minutes ago, bigmistake22 said:

I'm working m=y way through your list of recommendations - thank you for all of this!

I was going to submit Motion for Continuance, to give me more time to pull together information, since the date for the default judgement is today. Would that be a good first step. Then, do the motion to set aside default? 

Or is that redundant? I was going to do the continuance but got stuck on why I was asking for a continuance. SAying "i didn't know" isn't an appropriate response. 

Synchrony has an arbitration provision.  I don’t know if it’s too late for that or not, so let’s alert @BackFromTheDebt.

Your rules should tell you about a continuance.  Since you didn’t answer the complaint, I know if a continuance is possible at this point.

I didn't see this pinned post until now - here's my info, just in case it helps.

BTW, it appears that since I did not respond to lawsuit it probably means I am SOL (and I don't mean statute of limitations). Please let me know if this changes of your suggestions.

1. Who is the named plaintiff in the suit?

Credit Corp Solution Inc Assignee of Synchrony 

2. What is the name of the law firm handling the suit? (should be listed at the top of the complaint.)

Stillman Law Office

3. How much are you being sued for?

$8200

4. Who is the original creditor? (if not the Plaintiff)

Synchrony Bank (Care Credit card)

5. How do you know you are being sued? (You were served, right?)

Served papers

6. How were you served? (Mail, In person, Notice on door)

In-person, at my house

7. Was the service legal as required by your state?

Yes

8. What was your correspondence (if any) with the people suing you before you think you were being sued?

Phone calls to discuss debt, payment plan (offered lump sum). They took a lot of info from me and promised to call back.Never heard back. Called again, offered lump sum, they said "they would check with the company", never called back. Asked for documentation/validation of debt they never sent (verbal request, I realize now it was supposed to be in writing)

9. What state and county do you live in?

Fairfield Co, CT

10. When is the last time you paid on this account? (looking to establish if you are outside of the statute of limitations)

April 2018

11. When did you open the account (looking to establish what card agreement may be applicable)?

July 2016

12. What is the SOL on the debt? 

Connecticut: written: 6, Oral: 3, Open ended: 6

13. What is the status of your case? Suit served? Motions filed? You can find this by a) calling the court or B) looking it up online (many states have this information posted - when you find the online court site, search by case number or your name).

Summons: July 2020

Appearance Filed: Aug 2020

Return of Service: July 2020

Military Affidavit: Nov 2020

Motion for Default - failure to plead: Oct 2021 (granted) <--did not receive these papers

Order: Oct 2021

Motion for Judgement on Default: Feb 2022

On short calendar for today 2/28

Requested continuance (today b/c I just found out and signed up for efile services)

14. Have you disputed the debt with the credit bureaus (both the original creditor and the collection agency?)

No

15. Did you request debt validation before the suit was filed? Note: if you haven't sent a debt validation request before being sued, it likely won't help create FDCPA violations, but disputing after being sued could be useful to show the court that you dispute the debt ('account stated' vs. 'breach of contract').

No - i asked for it (verbally) and they said they would send but never did. There are statement in and Bill of Sale of debt (does not reference me specifically) in the plaintiff's paperwork

16. How long do you have to respond to the suit? (This should be in your paperwork). If you don't respond to the lawsuit notice you will lose automatically. In 99% of the cases, they will require you to answer the summons, and each point they are claiming. We need to know what the "charges" are. Please post what they are claiming. Did you receive an interrogatory (questionnaire) regarding the lawsuit?

I have a return date of 8/11/20 - is that what is meant by "how long to respond". I did file an Appearance in this time but not the response. The instructions on the summons didn't say to submit a response, it only said I had to complete an Appearance form so I didn't know. Not an excuse, just stating what happened  (my biggest error yet)

Complaint:

Count 1: Credit corp Solutions Inc is a business located at 1776 Lincoln St Suite 9000 Denver CO 80203. A copy of an affidavit from an employee of plaintiff is attached hereto and the most recent statement is attached to the affidavit. 

2. At all times the defendant, me, is residing at xxx (my address)

3. At all times, plaintiff has been licensed to do business in State of CT

4. Pursuant to the Def. request, plaintiff's assignor, issued to the defendant a credit account xxx (xxx with last 4 digits of account number) in the D. name. Plaintiff's assignor, the original creditor, assigned it's rights, title, interest and ownership of D's debt to Plaintiff 

5. As attested to by Plaintiff in the annexed affidavit, D has defaulted on this debt as the last payment was made within the last 6 years

6. upon use of the credit account, defendant became obligated to abide by all the terms and cond of agreement, include but not lim. to the term in which D promises to pay the Plaintiff's assignor

7. Despite demands to pay, D has failed and/or neglected to pay the sum due according to agreement

8. At present, D owes plaintiff a balance of 8219.94 as set forth in affidavit. 

Count 2: 

9. Plaintiff hereby repeats, re-alleges and restates the allegations contained in paragraphs 1-4 of Count 1 as if more fully set forth below

10. Plaintiff's assignor, sent accurate monthly statement to the defendants regarding the revolving line of credit and/or credit card account

11. the monthly statements indicated D's use of revolving line of credit and or credit payments made on the account from D and that D ceased making payments on the acct

12. Monthly statements also verify that plaintiff's assignor continued to send updated monthly statement to D, which included explanation of finance charged and late fees on the acct due to acct delinquency

Wherefore, plaintiff demands judment against D for

1. principal sum of $8219

2. reasonable costs and court fees

and 3 such further relief as the court deems just and proper

No, I did not receive a questionnaire regarding the lawsuit.

17. What evidence did they send with the summons? An affidavit? Statements from the OC? Contract? List anything else they attached as exhibits.

Affidavit of debt, 2 statements showing total due, statement of amount in demand, military affidavit, Bill of Sale (Credit Corp CCRS purchase "for value received and in further consideration of the mutual covenant and conditions set forth in the forward flow accounts purchase agreement), affidavit of sale of account by original creditor, certificate of conformity

18.  How did you find out about this site?

Googled and found a link to the forum

\

Others have suggested ways to fight the default judgment.  Maybe that will work, maybe not.  That depends on a lot of factors.  

If it doesn’t work, your choices are to either accept the terms their lawyer’s office proposed or else have them go after you.  Unless you are judgment proof, the settlement is probably better for you in the long run. 

If you can fight off the default judgment, then come back and ask about arbitration.  

• Like 1

Thanks, backfromthedebt!

I have the continuance in and hope they will give me some time. We'll see. I'm not hopeful.

I called the law office today and they offered $5400 (original amount $8200 then settlement amount of $6100). $5400 is more feasible and closer to what I actually owe (my brain is stuck on the fact that I owed $4800 in principal and the rest was interest). If I go for this settlement, they would report as "Settled for less than full amount". They would notify court to dismiss the case. They said they do not report to credit agencies but gave me the number for the credit company (credit corp solutions). They would sent documentation to me and the court on March 21st, if I pay today and the payment has cleared. This $5400 would also include court fees of ~450. I wonder if I should just take it and be done with it. I want to go to arbitration but I am behind the 8 ball, if I can even get past the default. 

7 hours ago, ReclaimMyTime said:

If an opposing lawyer is talking, he/she is lying to you. Their interests are not in your favor, so you shouldn't trust what they say. EVERYTHING they offer should be in writing. If they send an offer through the mail, reply. You can send a letter back to them refusing the agreement or accepting the agreement. YOU ARE THE MASTER, not them. The reason I mention this is because there was a man in this forum that took a deal with a collection agency over the phone before a judgement. He made his first payment over the phone, then the collection agency sent him a letter urging him to sign an agreement in which they tacked on court fees and interest — which the man never agreed to over the phone.

Okay, hold on.  The Texas person in the thread you cited made a payment before getting the terms of the agreement in writing.  It is perfectly fine to discuss a settlement over the phone.  Just don’t make a payment before getting a copy of the agreement and signing it.  I would take a picture of the agreement, as well.

Know your state’s recording laws, and record the conversation.  If your state is a 2-party state which means both parties must know they are being recorded, inform the other person that you are recording the conversation.  If your state makes no such requirement, you can record without informing the other person.  A recorded conversation protects you if they change the terms.

7 hours ago, ReclaimMyTime said:

Synchrony Bank wrote off your old credit card on their Schedule C tax form, then they received a tax deduction from the loan value. Next, the bank sold off the "bad debt" to third-party collection agency for a fraction of the amount. So, Synchrony Bank lost nothing. The collection agency is well versed in FEAR LANGUAGE and white lies. Therefore, if I were you, I would not pay Stillman Law Firm nor would I pay Credit Corp Solution Inc. They are trying to take your roof repair money that your family worked hard to save, yet neither of them ever loaned you money. Ultimately, the choice to acquiesce to the lawsuit is yours. 

It doesn’t matter that Synchrony wrote off the debt and took a tax deduction.  When Synchrony sold the account, it had to report the amount it received from the debt buyer as income.  It is legal for contracts and debts to be sold.  Sale of an account does not render the balance forgiven or uncollectible.  

If you have a credit card, read the cardmember agreement.  It states that the bank can assign or sell the account, and that the assignee or purchaser has the same rights as the bank.  It’s just as if the new owner lent you the money.  It also states that your use of the card indicates that you agree with all the terms of the agreement.  By using the card, you agree that the account can be sold, and that you will pay the assignee just the same as would pay the bank.  

If the new owner sues a consumer, of course, it must prove it owns the account and that the consumer owes the balance. But if a consumer is satisfied that the new owner is legitimate, it is perfectly fine to settle before court.  Otherwise, the judge could agree with the plaintiff and issue a judgment in favor of that plaintiff.

By telling someone not to pay, you are telling that person to risk wage garnishment and a lien on property he or she may own. Wage garnishment may not be possible in TX, but it is allowed in Connecticut which is the OP’s state of residence.

Also, if a consumer owns a home, a judgment becomes a lien on that home.  A consumer who wants to sell his home cannot do so until the lien is paid.

In some states, judgments can last for 10 years, and then be renewed for another 10 years.  Judgment interest at the rate specified by one’s state is added to that judgment each year.  The judgment creditor can attempt to enforce judgment during that time as allowed by one state laws.

• Like 3

On 2/27/2022 at 6:52 PM, bigmistake22 said:
I plan to call tomorrow and try and get this settled.
My question is: what is the best plan of attack?
I see that some companies will automatically do a "pay for a delete" and I know it can be difficult to get most of the time. Does it even make sense to ask for a "pay for delete" in this situation (lawsuit, pending default judgement, settled amount)?
I was reading the boards and it seems like most people are getting the P4D with collection agencies. I haven't seen anyone reference it for a lawsuit.

Ignore @ReclaimMyTimetheir advice is emotional and not based in the law.  

Settling is about leverage.  The party that has more leverage has the better negotiating power.  Once a lawsuit is filed leverage shifts to the Plaintiff and their legal counsel.  They know most Defendants don't want to go to court or have a judgment.  The leverage is why we advise consumers who are doing credit repair for any reason NOT to disclose that is why.  If creditors of any sort get wind that the consumer wants or needs new credit the leverage shifts back to the creditors in negotiating settlements of negative accounts.  Calling a creditor to get PFD and making the mistake of saying "I am hoping to buy a house and need to get this off my reports" simply tells the creditor you have money and will pay anything to settle.  Chances of settling for less change to slim to none after that.  Consumers who call or mail a settlement offer simply stating they wish to take care of the matter now can make offers (depending on the amount of the debt and creditor) that can result in paying less than half of what is owed to settle the debt in full and get it removed if negotiated correctly.  Once the negatives are all dealt with THEN they can app for a mortgage or other credit as those creditors no longer have an interest in that consumer.

The key is also NOT to pay until you have ALL the terms in writing and signed by both parties.  In the past 10 years since the recession we have not seen any of the major players in the credit game refuse to put settlements in writing.  Especially when there is already a court case pending.  Keep in mind that if you are being sued by a junk debt buyer a settlement for PFD has no effect on the trade line of the creditor they bought the account from.  If you have a level head and can carry on the negotiations without getting angry or emotional then a phone call is a good way to start the process.  It does not have to be the entire process.  The conversation should end with "those terms sound reasonable.  Send me them in writing signed by someone authorized to make this agreement and I will sign it and return it."  Then the call ends. 

When it comes to a lawsuit the one factor to remember is that if you are already being sued and cannot afford to hire counsel and will be representing yourself the court expects you to communicate with opposing counsel and that will involve the phone.  That also means you have to toughen up and be prepared not to deal with front line CSRs whose only goal is to get money out of you because their paycheck increases based on the amounts they take in.  THOSE are people who will do and say anything to get a payment.  In the end settling is about what is best for YOU.  Posters like @ReclaimMyTimedo not have to live with the financial consequences you end up with based on their emotional advice.  You have to live with the choices and if settling is what is right for you then you do it to the best of your ability. 

• Like 3

@Clydesmom

Thank you, again, for all of this. I'm taking notes. 

You are so right about the leverage. I need to be less emotional. I'm not a total mess but I'm sure they can hear the hesitancy in my voice. Yesterday when I spoke to them I was more direct and confident and they asked how much I could pay, I dropped the price by $800 and they agreed to it. I know some may say I could have gone lower but, with them filing a motion for default (I was naïve, so I messed up and didn't respond), they had the leverage.

I appreciate the guidance on not telling them why I am doing credit repair. I haven't so far but I'll stick with it. 

I'm going to finish reading your response and taking notes. I'll be sharing all I've learned with my husband tonight. I feel like I'm finally taking control and it's empowering. Scary but empowering. 

thank you so very much.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2022 at 8:47 AM, BV80 said:

Quick update: 

I wasn't able to stop the judgement (I tried but too little, too late. Learned a tough lesson this time around)

Stillman Law (firm representing Credit Corp Solutions) settled with me for $5400.  The debt plus court fees were about $8700. I know they purchased the debt for pennies on the dollar but I opted to settle since I technically owed $4700 on the original principal balance. This wasn't much more in "interest". They didn't need to settle b/c they were able to get the default judgement - so I'm glad for this part to be over and done.

I received a letter from the law firm (and it is also filed with the court): Satisfaction of Judgement. It says "the judgement against the defendant has been satisfied and is hereby released and forever discharged". So...phew! That part is done and filed w/ the court. I dont' feel great about it but it could have been worse.

At this point, I don't know if I will be able to have them rescind the judgement, as suggested above. I'm sure I can ask but not sure it will go anywhere. I read online that rescinding usually only happens when there was an error.  

I will be pulling my credit report (I'm taking the weekend to deal w/ family stuff before I dive into the credit rebuilding phase of things. I can only climb so many mountains at a time :) ) - once I do, I'll be looking to see if the judgement is on the report and how the OC reported this debt (charge off, did the JDB report as open/etc) and I will try and get the OC (synchrony) and the JDB (Credit Corp Solutions) to remove the charges. I have read a few success stories with Synchrony but that is usually when they are still in collections. I don't know if they will do it b/c this was a charge off. Can't hurt to try...

thanks everyone, for the advice!

2 hours ago, bigmistake22 said:

Quick update: 

I wasn't able to stop the judgement (I tried but too little, too late. Learned a tough lesson this time around)

Stillman Law (firm representing Credit Corp Solutions) settled with me for $5400.  The debt plus court fees were about $8700. I know they purchased the debt for pennies on the dollar but I opted to settle since I technically owed $4700 on the original principal balance. This wasn't much more in "interest". They didn't need to settle b/c they were able to get the default judgement - so I'm glad for this part to be over and done.

I received a letter from the law firm (and it is also filed with the court): Satisfaction of Judgement. It says "the judgement against the defendant has been satisfied and is hereby released and forever discharged". So...phew! That part is done and filed w/ the court. I dont' feel great about it but it could have been worse.

At this point, I don't know if I will be able to have them rescind the judgement, as suggested above. I'm sure I can ask but not sure it will go anywhere. I read online that rescinding usually only happens when there was an error.  

I will be pulling my credit report (I'm taking the weekend to deal w/ family stuff before I dive into the credit rebuilding phase of things. I can only climb so many mountains at a time :) ) - once I do, I'll be looking to see if the judgement is on the report and how the OC reported this debt (charge off, did the JDB report as open/etc) and I will try and get the OC (synchrony) and the JDB (Credit Corp Solutions) to remove the charges. I have read a few success stories with Synchrony but that is usually when they are still in collections. I don't know if they will do it b/c this was a charge off. Can't hurt to try...

thanks everyone, for the advice!

I don’t believe the CRAs report judgments anymore.

On 3/11/2022 at 6:54 PM, shadow99 said:

Just curious - did they have the payment in hand when it went to court? 

Hi - I believe technically, the payment was not in hand because although I paid (on the phone) at the same time as the motion was on the short calendar with the court (within minutes of each other), it took some time  for payment to process.  Payment was out of my bank account by the next business day and, according to the law firm/debt collector, the account was considered "closed" and "settled for less than full amount" as soon as payment cleared. After I paid on the phone, they informed me they would contact the lawyer to stop the motion is it hadn't already gone through.  I was talking to them at 9:30am, which was the same time as scheduled for the short calendar.  I tried to get it all done but it all happened on a Monday morning. it was a time crunch! 

8 minutes ago, bigmistake22 said:

Hi - I believe technically, the payment was not in hand because although I paid (on the phone) at the same time as the motion was on the short calendar with the court (within minutes of each other), it took some time  for payment to process.  Payment was out of my bank account by the next business day and, according to the law firm/debt collector, the account was considered "closed" and "settled for less than full amount" as soon as payment cleared. After I paid on the phone, they informed me they would contact the lawyer to stop the motion is it hadn't already gone through.  I was talking to them at 9:30am, which was the same time as scheduled for the short calendar.  I tried to get it all done but it all happened on a Monday morning. it was a time crunch! 

If the judgment never makes it to your credit report, it probably doesn't matter.

I was just wondering how it would work if you filed a motion to vacate the judgement and can show that payment had been made, but they couldn't communicate it the lawyer in the courtroom fast enough.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update on the situation: 

I settled with the lawfirm in early March. They sent a letter to the court and my home saying the file is closed and paid. 

I pulled my credit report for the first time through annualcreditreport.com

If I'm reading it correctly, none of the reports have my original charge off/sold debt from Synchrony bank. There's other derogatory marks, including a Chase Charge off that I just settled last night, but nothing about the original synchrony bank charge off. It was only in 2018, so I assumed it would still be on there. Is that normal? 

I'm grateful - I have quite a few other things to conquer, included a store card that was closed with many lates. It doesn't say "charge off" but it definitely is closed and derogatory. Anyway, I was shocked it wasn't on the report! Feeling hopeful I can get out of the low 600s and into mid-upper 600s soon. I know it takes time but I'm trying my best!